Al Sharpton is an outspoken preacher and civil rights activist who is famous for leading the fight against racial prejudice and injustice in the United States of America.
Facts of Al Sharpton
|Full Name:||Al Sharpton|
|Age:||68 years 11 months|
|Birth Date:||October 03, 1954|
|Birth Place:||New York City, New York, U.S.|
|Net Worth:||$2 Million|
|Children:||Two(Dominique Sharpton and Ashley Sharpton)|
|Relationship affair ?:||No|
|Is gay ?:||No|
|Father's Name:||Alfred Charles Sharpton, Sr.|
|Mother's Name:||Ada Richards|
|Education:||City University of New York, Brooklyn|
|Height / How tall :||5.10 inch|
|Eye Color:||Dark Brown|
|Best Match for Marriage:||Gemini|
|View more / View fewer Facts of Al Sharpton|
Let me be clear: as I have said repeatedly, I do not believe that all police officers are bad, nor do I believe that most are bad. But there must be a transparent, impartial and fair system to judge those that engage in criminal or unethical acts
In order to establish peace, you must have fair justice for everyone
My message to everyone: the next time you hear about migrant children near the border, just picture them as your own. Then think what you would want our government to do
Al Sharpton is an outspoken preacher and civil rights activist who is famous for leading the fight against racial prejudice and injustice in the United States of America. Some describe him as a controversial, racial arsonist and his critics opine he is a political activist who should be held responsible for the deterioration of race relations. However, to the black American populace, he is a hero who is willing to go to jail for the advancement of their cause. Former US president Barrack Obama described him as “the voice of the voiceless and a champion for the downtrodden.”
Who are the parents of Al Sharpton?
Recalling his early life, Al Sharpton was born in the Brownsville neighborhood of Brooklyn, New York City. He is American by nationality and belongs to Afro-American ethnicity.
He was born to Ada and Alfred Charles Sharpton Sr as Alfred Charles Sharpton Jr. In 1963, Sharpton’s father left his mother to have a relationship with Sharpton’s half-sister. Ada took a job as a maid, but her income was so low that the family qualified for welfare and had to move from middle-class Hollis, Queens, to the public housing projects in the Brownsville neighborhood of Brooklyn.
Regarding his education, Sharpton graduated from Samuel J. Tilden High School in Brooklyn, and attended Brooklyn College, dropping out after two years in 1975. In 1972, he accepted the position of youth director for the presidential campaign of African-American Congresswoman Shirley Chisholm. Between the years 1973 and 1980 Sharpton served as James Brown’s tour manager.
When did Al Sharpton pursue his career as a preacher and civil rights activist?
- Talking about his career, Sharpton was appointed by Jesse Jackson to serve as youth director of the New York City branch of Operation Breadbasket in the year 1969, a group that focused on the promotion of new and better jobs for African Americans.
- In 1971, Sharpton founded the National Youth Movement to raise resources for impoverished youth.
- On December 20, 1986, three African-American men were assaulted in the Howard Beach neighborhood of Queens by a mob of white men. The three men were chased by their attackers onto the Belt Parkway, where one of them, Michael Griffith, was struck and killed by a passing motorist.
- A week later, on December 27, Sharpton led 1,200 demonstrators on a march through the streets of Howard Beach. Residents of the neighborhood, who were overwhelmingly white, screamed racial epithets at the protesters, who were largely black. A special prosecutor was appointed by New York Governor Mario Cuomo after the two surviving victims refused to co-operate with the Queen’s district attorney. Sharpton’s role in the case helped propel him to national prominence.
- In May 1990, when one of the two leaders of the mob was acquitted of the most serious charges brought against him, Sharpton led another protest through Bensonhurst.
- In January 1991, when other members of the gang were given light sentences, Sharpton planned another march for January 12, 1991. Before that demonstration began, neighborhood resident Michael Riccardi tried to kill Sharpton by stabbing him in the chest. Sharpton recovered from his wounds and later asked the judge for leniency when Riccardi was sentenced.
- In 1991, Sharpton founded the National Action Network, an organization designed to increase voter education, to provide services to those in poverty, and to support small community businesses.
- In 2016, Boise Kimber, an associate of Sharpton and a member of his NAN national board, along with businessman and philanthropist Don Vaccaro, launched Grace Church Websites, a non-profit organization that helps churches create and launch their own websites.
- In 2014, Politico described Sharpton as an “adviser” to President Barack Obama and as Obama’s “go-to man” on racial issues.
- On August 28, 2017, the fifty-fourth anniversary of the famous March on Washington at which Martin Luther King Jr. gave his “I Have a Dream” speech, Sharpton organized the Ministers March for Justice, promising to bring a thousand members of the clergy to Washington, D.C., to deliver a “unified moral rebuke” to President Donald Trump. Several thousand religious leaders showed up, including Christians, Jews, Muslims, and Sikhs. Washington Post columnist Dana Milbank wrote that “President Trump has united us, after all. He brought together the Rev. Al Sharpton and the Jews.”
- Besides this, Sharpton appeared in several movies as well. He has made cameo appearances in the movies Cold Feet, Bamboozled, Mr. Deeds, and Malcolm X. He also has appeared in episodes of the television show New York Undercover, Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, Girlfriends, My Wife, and Kids, Rescue Me and Boston Legal. He hosted the original Spike TV reality television show I Hate My Job and an episode of Saturday Night Live. He was a guest on Weekends at the DL on Comedy Central and has been featured in television ads for the Fernando Ferrer campaign for the New York City mayoral election, 2005.
- In 1999, Sharpton appeared in a documentary about black nationalism hosted by Louis Theroux, as part of the ‘Weird Weekends’ series.
- During the 2005 Tony Awards, Sharpton appeared in a number put on by the cast of The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee. In 2009 he hosted WWE Raw.
Who is Al Sharpton married to?
Reflecting his personal life, Rev. Al Sharpton’s first marriage was to Marsha Tinsley and the union lasted for just about one year. His second marriage was in 1980 after he met then backup singer, Kathy Jordan while on a James Brown tour in 1971. The two began dating and walked down the aisle in 1980. They had two beautiful daughters together before their unfortunate separation in 2004 – 24 years after their wedding. Their daughters are, Dominique Sharpton and Ashley Sharpton.
Currently, Al Sharpton is clearly dating someone in what will be his first relationship since separating from his wife, Kathy. He has been conspicuously noticed with a lady, 20 years younger than he is, Aisha McShaw, who without any hesitation has claimed that she is Sharpton’s girlfriend. This in itself would not be an issue, as the reverend is at liberty to date owing to his over a decade separation from his wife. But the issue arises from the fact that he is still legally bound to his former wife as their separation is yet to be legalized into a formal divorce.
How much is Al Sharpton’s net worth?
The preacher lives a comfortable and public active life. This is mainly possible because the fight for an egalitarian America has been fought and won with his contributions not missing in action.
His net worth is estimated to be $5 million and pays him over $241,000 in salary. In 2014, we learned that Al Sharpton and his numerous businesses owed a combined $4.7 million dollars in taxes. However, he has successfully paid off more than $2 million of the debt.
How tall is Al Sharpton?
Observing his body statistics, Al Sharpton stands a height of 5 feet 10 inches tall and his weight is 59 Kg. He has a pair of dark brown eyes and gray hair color. His other body information is yet to be disclosed. in the case of disclosure, we will let you know.