Alex Trebek was a Canadian-born American Television personality
Facts of Alex Trebek
|Full Name:||Alex Trebek|
|Age:||82 years 6 months|
|Birth Date:||July 22, 1940|
|Birth Place:||Ontario, Canada|
|Net Worth:||$50 M|
|When did Alex Trebek get married ? (married date):||, 1990|
|Relationship affair ?:||No|
|Is gay ?:||No|
|Father's Name:||George Trebek|
|Mother's Name:||Lucille Trebek|
|Height / How tall :||5.8 inch|
|Best Match for Marriage:||Taurus, Pisces, Scorpio|
|View more / View fewer Facts of Alex Trebek|
Alex Trebek was a Canadian-born American Television personality, popular as the host of a syndicated game show on NBC, Jeopardy! He joined the show as a host in 1984. Trebek died at age 80 after a nearly two-year battle with pancreatic cancer. In this section, we will discuss Alex’s personal and professional life with the information on his Net Worth, Salary, Age, Wife, Children, and many more.
How did Alex Trebek become famous?
- A high profile Canadian-born American Television personality.
- His quick wit and sense of humor.
- His hosting in syndicated game show ‘Jeopardy!’ for several years and achieving the ‘Guinness World Record’ for most number of episodes in a single program.
- An actor who had played the role of his own real life for some TV series and featured in some movies as well.
Source: youtube.com JEOPARDY
Alex Trebek announces he has stage 4 pancreatic cancer
The longtime game show host on Wednesday announced he’s been diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer in a video posted to the show’s official YouTube account.
“Now, normally, the prognosis for this is not very encouraging, but I’m going to fight this. And I’m going to keep working and with the love and support of my family and friends — and with the help of your prayers also — I plan to beat the low survival rate statistics for this disease,” he said.
Pancreatic cancer, on average and across all stages, has a 5-year survival rate of 9%, according to the American Cancer Society.
Trebek, 78, has hosted “Jeopardy” since 1984 when the show began airing daily in syndication.
Sony Pictures Television chairman Mike Hopkins said in a statement Wednesday, “If anyone can beat this it’s Alex. He has our full support as he tackles this challenge head-on.”
Trebek is known for his quick wit and sense of humor, which was on display in his announcement, despite the somber message at its center.
“Truth told, I have to [keep hosting] because, under the terms of my contract, I have to host ‘Jeopardy’ for three more years,” he joked. “So help me. Keep the faith, and we’ll win. We’ll get it done.”
Upon news of his diagnosis, former “Jeopardy” champions, celebrity fans and even fellow game show hosts have expressed support for Trebek.
“The Sajak family is deeply saddened to hear of Alex Trebek’s struggle with cancer,” “Wheel of Fortune” host Pat Sajak wrote on Twitter. “Our hearts go out to him and his family. But there is no one I know who is stronger and more determined, and I would never bet against him. We and the entire country are pulling for you, Alex.
Where does Alex Trebek live now?
Alex Trebek was in Sudbury, Ontario, Canada as George Alexander Trebek. He is the son of George and Lucille Trebek. As of 2019, Alex has gone to reach the age of 79 years in July, and his star sign is Cancer. He has a Canadian and American nationality with mixed ethnicity and in a multilingual household.
Regarding his education, Trebek completed his graduation from Lisgar Collegiate Institute in 1957. As it was not enough to pursue a career in the broadcasting sector, he again joined the University of Ottawa and majored in Philosophy.
Moreover, soon after completing his graduation, Trebek started working as a newscaster and sportscaster in CBS. After gaining success as a sportscaster and newscaster, Trebek went on to pursue his career as a host. Till date, Trebek has hosted many programs including The Wizard of Odds, Double Dare, High Rollers, Battlestars, Classic Concentration, To Tell the Truth, and much more.
Furthermore, his most remarkable work is for- an American television show Jeopardy. Although he has been hosting Jeopardy for more than 30 years, he still remains fresh, humble and motivated. He has achieved Guinness World Record for most episodes of a game show host, with 6,829 episodes on June 13, 2014.
Has Alex Trebek hosted Jeopardy?
- He began his journalistic career as a newscaster and sportscaster with the CBC channel. His specialty was national news and he soon gained a reputation for being a cool-headed and trustworthy journalist. He covered several special events for his channels’ radio and television divisions.
- Even though his role as a newscaster was much appreciated, he changed gears and became the host of the Canadian quiz show ‘Reach for the Top’ in 1966 in which teams of high school students competed against each other.
- He moved to the U.S. in 1973 to further his career. His first job there was to host the new NBC game show ‘The Wizard of Odds’. The show was short-lived and lasted only one season.
- He started hosting the game show ‘High Rollers’ in 1974. He was in the show for its two runs from 1974-76, and 1978-80, and also in its syndicated season during 1975-76.
- During 1977-78 he hosted the second season of ‘The $128,000 Question’. In the show, each participant was quizzed in a category of their expertise. The show never registered high viewership ratings and was discontinued after the second season.
- After hosting so many game shows, he became very popular as a show host and was invited to make several guest appearances as a panelist or player on several other shows including NBC’s ‘Card Sharks’ and ‘The Magnificent Marble Machine’.
- He was asked to host the syndicated version of the game show ‘Jeopardy!’ which was created by the famous Merv Griffin who had also created the ‘Wheel of Fortune’. Trebek began hosting the show in 1984 and is continuing this role till date.
- The show ‘Jeopardy!’ is a unique game show in which the contestants are provided clues to general knowledge in the form of answers and have to phrase their responses in the form of questions. The show was very popular and was the winner of several Daytime Emmy Awards.
- He created history in 1991 when he became the first person in American broadcast history to host three-game shows at the same time – ‘Jeopardy!’, ‘Classic Concentration’, and ‘To Tell the Truth’.
- In 1994, Trebek returned to the CBS network for the first time since hosting Double Dare to host the Pillsbury Bake-Off, which he hosted until 1998.
- In August 1995 in a return to his broadcast-news roots, Trebek filled in for Charles Gibson for a week on Good Morning America.
- Trebek and Pat Sajak, host of Wheel of Fortune, traded places on April Fools’ Day 1997. Pat Sajak hosted Jeopardy! and Alex Trebek hosted Wheel of Fortune with Sajak’s wife, Lesly, as Trebek’s co-host. Sajak and Wheel of Fortune co-host Vanna White played contestants at the wheel, with winnings going toward charities.
- Trebek appeared on Celebrity Poker Showdown in 2005. He came in second place in his qualifying game, losing to Cheryl Hines. On May 9, 2008, Trebek was a guest on Jimmy Kimmel Live!. On the program, he discussed his 24-year career as the host of Jeopardy!. Revisiting Kimmel in 2011, he talked about the IBM Challenge on Jeopardy!.
- Trebek also appears in many commercials for Colonial Penn Life Insurance, of which he is a “compensated endorser”, and he reprised his role as host of To Tell the Truth in a 2010 advertisement for DirecTV.
- Alex Trebek at Kadena Air Base, Okinawa, Japan, on March 31, 2007
- In December 2010, Trebek guest-starred on How I Met Your Mother.
- On March 26, 2014, Alex Trebek made a guest appearance on Hot in Cleveland as himself.
- On June 13, 2014, Guinness World Records presented Alex with the world record for most episodes of a game show host, with 6,829 episodes at the time.
- On December 18, 2014, series-finale episode of The Colbert Report, Trebek (introduced as “the one with all the answers”) greets Colbert as he boards a sleigh driven by Santa Claus and Abraham Lincoln and leaves the studio for the last time.
- On June 24, 2018, Trebek returned as a panelist on the ABC revival of To Tell the Truth.
- At present, Alex is on leave from his job because of his health issue. He suffered from a subdural hematoma and had successful brain surgery. He was admitted to the Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles on 15 December 2017 and was discharged after brain surgery on 18 December 2017. Alex also told that he would be back on TV game show Jeopardy soon!
Alex Trebek’s Awards & Achievements
- He is the recipient of five Daytime Emmy Awards for Outstanding Game Show Host for the game show ‘Jeopardy!’ the latest win being in 2008.
- He received the Royal Canadian Geographical Society’s Gold Medal for his contribution to geographic education and the popular study of geography in 2010.
- Trebek and the show ‘Jeopardy!’ were presented with the Peabody Award in 2011 for “encouraging, celebrating and rewarding knowledge”.
- He received the Lifetime Achievement Award from the National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences in 2011 for his contributions to the field of entertainment.
Is Alex Trebek still married?
Reflecting his personal life, Alex Trebek is tied up in the marital relation with Jean Currivan from 1990 and having a happy life since then. Before marrying Currivan, he was single for 9 years because of his divorce with Elaine Callie, a businesswoman. He married Elaine in 1974 but, after 7 years or marital life with Elaine, he divorced Elaine in 1981. Well, to date, Alex has not disclosed the exact reason for their divorce.
Now, he is with Currivan and they have Matthew and Emily Trebek as their children. His new wife Currivan is from New York and, she is a Project manager of the real estate industry. Currently, there’s no any news relevant to the relationship of Alex Trebek and Jean Currivan.
Trebek died at age 80 after a nearly two-year battle with pancreatic cancer.
How Much Does Alex Trebek make per show?
Iconic Television host, Alex Trebek regularly draws his wealth from his longtime and prosperous career as a TV host and presenter. It is believed that he has 700 acres of Horse farm.
Furthermore, Trebek has appeared in an advertisement for Colonial Penn Life Insurance, and many Television shows like Beverly Hills 90210, The X-Files, Family Guy, Hot in Cleveland and most recently- Orange is the New Black.
Moreover, according to Celebrity Net Worth, Alex earns an estimated net worth of $50 million i.e £38 million. His salary is estimated to be $10 million annually. The Emmy Award-winning television personality Alex Trebek current residence in Studio City (CA). He brought the house for $2.995 million.
Alex Trebek’s Height, Weight, Body Statistics
Observing his body statistics, Alex stands tall at the height of 5 feet 8 inches and weighs about 61 kilos. He has salt and pepper colored hair and dark brown eyes. Nothing much about his body size is provided yet.
- 1 How did Alex Trebek become famous?
- 2 Alex Trebek announces he has stage 4 pancreatic cancer
- 3 Where does Alex Trebek live now?
- 4 Has Alex Trebek hosted Jeopardy?
- 5 Alex Trebek’s Awards & Achievements
- 6 Is Alex Trebek still married?
- 7 How Much Does Alex Trebek make per show?
- 8 Alex Trebek’s Height, Weight, Body Statistics