Chemist and Pioneer in Nanoscience and Nantechnology
Facts of Charles Lieber
|Full Name:||Charles Lieber|
|Age:||54 years 0 months|
|Birth Date:||January 27, 1969|
|Profession:||Chemist and Pioneer in Nanoscience and Nantechnology|
|Best Match for Marriage:||Aquarius, Gemini, Sagittarius|
|View more / View fewer Facts of Charles Lieber|
An American chemist and pioneer in nanoscience and nanotechnology is named for Charles Lieber. He was named by Thomson Reuters as the leading chemist in the world for the decade 2000-2010 based on the impact of his scientific publications in the year 2011. He is famous for his contributions to the synthesis, assembly, and characterization of nanoscale materials and nanodevices, the application of nanoelectronic devices in biology, and as a mentor to numerous leaders in nanoscience. In the year 2012, he was awarded the Wolf Prize in Chemistry. He was arrested on charges of making false statements to the U.S. Department of Defense and to Harvard investigators regarding his participation in China’s Thousand Talents Program, which has received criticism as a threat to national security on 28th January 2020.
No Link Between Harvard Scientist Charles Lieber and Coronavirus
Charles Lieber is not accused of being a spy and has no connection to the new coronavirus but he was charged for lying about his participation in a Chinese recruitment program and his affiliation with a Chinese university. He was charged by the Department of Justice on Jan. 28 for repeatedly making false statements about his ties to China. Lieber also allegedly failed to disclose large sums of money he received from the Chinese government, including more than $1.5 million to start a lab at WUT and a salary of up to $50,000 per month, plus living expenses for his work at WUT. Furthermore, Lieber is charged with making false statements to the Department of Defense in 2018 and to the NIH in January 2019, well before the COVID-19 outbreak at the end of last year. The timing of the announced charges just happened to overlap with news of the outbreak. In 2018 and 2019, Lieber lied about his participation in the Plan of Thousand Talents and his affiliation with WUT.
What is the birthplace of Charles Lieber?
In the year 1969, Charles Lieber was born in Philadelphia, the USA. His nationality is American and his ethnicity is White. His religion is Jewish. As of 2019, he celebrated his 60th birthday. There is no information about his parents and siblings. As per his education, he obtained a B.A. in Chemistry from Franklin & Marshall College, graduating with honors in 1981. He went on to earn his doctorate at Stanford University in Chemistry, carrying out research on surface chemistry in the lab of Nathan Lewis, followed by a two-year postdoc at Caltech in the lab of Harry Gray on long-distance electron transfer in metalloproteins. was an early proponent of using the fundamental physical advantages of the very small to meld the worlds of optics and electronics and create interfaces between nanoscale materials and biological structures, and “to develop entirely new technologies, technologies we cannot even predict today.”
How Charles Lieber Began His Career?
- He joined the Columbia University Department of Chemistry in 1987.
- There, he was Assistant Professor (1987-1990) and Associate Professor (1990-1991) before moving to Harvard as Full Professor (1992).
- As of now, he holds a joint appointment at Harvard University in the Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology and the Harvard Paulson School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, as Joshua and Beth Friedman University Professor.
- He became Chair of the Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology in the year 2015.
What is the Research Contribution made by Charles Lieber?
- He has given contributions to the rational growth, characterization, and applications of a range of functional nanoscale materials and heterostructures have provided concepts central to the bottom-up paradigm of nanoscience.
- His other contribution includes; Nanostructure characterization, Nanoelectronics, and nanophotonics, Nanostructure assembly and computing, Nanoelectronics for biology and medicine, Nanomaterials synthesis.
What are the Current Research Charles Lieber?
- His current research includes Nanoelectronics and brain science.
- The development of nanoelectronics-enabled cellular tools underpins Lieber’s views on transforming electrical recording and modulation of neuronal activity in brain science.
- He has also developed macroporous 3D sensor arrays and synthetic tissue scaffold to mimic the structure of natural tissue, and for the first time generated synthetic tissues that can be innervated in 3D, showing that it is possible to produce interpenetrating 3D electronic-neural networks following cell culture.
- His current work focuses on integrating electronics in a minimally/non-invasive manner within the central nervous system.
- He has demonstrated that this macroporous electronics can be injected by syringe to position devices in a chosen region of the brain.
- This concept of electronics integration with the brain as a nanotechnological tool potentially capable of treating neurological and neurodegenerative diseases, stroke and traumatic injury has drawn attention from a number of media sources.
- Scientific American named injectable electronics one of 2015’s top ten world-changing ideas.
- Chemical & Engineering News called it “the most notable chemistry research advance of 2015.”
Federal Arrest of Charles Lieber
On 28th January 2020, he was charged with two federal counts of making a materially false, fictitious and fraudulent statement about his links to a Chinese university. According to the Department of Justice’s charging document, there are two counts of the alleged crime committed by Lieber. First, during an interview by DoD on 24th April 2018, he was asked whether he was involved in the Thousand Talents Program. He stated that “he was never asked to participate in the Thousand Talents Program”, adding that “he ‘wasn’t sure’ how China categorized him.” The DOJ believes that Lieber’s statement was false because an intercepted email dated 27th June 2012, from Wuhan University of Technology (“WUT”) included a contract for Lieber to sign. Second, in November 2018, the NIH inquired of Harvard University about his foreign affiliations. In January 2019, Harvard interviewed him and reported to NIH that he “had no formal association with WUT” after 2012. The DOJ believes Lieber’s statement was false. He was charged with two counts of violating 18 U.S.C. § 1001(a)(2), one on April 24, 2018, and one in January 2019 for making the allegedly false statements. During his arraignment, authorities executed search warrants at the home and office in Lexington, Massachusetts. The charges against Lieber carry a sentence of five years in federal prison and a quarter-million-dollar fine. Lieber has been placed on paid administrative leave by Harvard.
Awards of Charles Lieber
His work has been recognized by a number of awards, including the Welch Award in Chemistry (2019); John Gamble Kirkwood Award, Yale University (2018); NIH Director’s Pioneer Award (2017 and 2008); MRS Von Hippel Award (2016); Remsen Award (2016); Nano Research Award, Tsinghua University Press/Springer (2013); IEEE Nanotechnology Pioneer Award (2013); Willard Gibbs Medal (2013); Wolf Prize in Chemistry (2012); Fred Kavli Distinguished Lectureship in Nanoscience (2010); Inorganic Nanoscience Award of the ACS Division of Inorganic Chemistry (2009); Einstein Award, Chinese Academy of Sciences (2008); NBIC Research Excellence Award, University of Pennsylvania (2007); Nanotech Briefs Nano 50 Award (2005); ACS Award in the Chemistry of Materials (2004); World Technology Award in Materials (2004 and 2003); Scientific American 50 Award in Nanotechnology and Molecular Electronics (2003); New York Intellectual Property Law Association Inventor of the Year (2003); APS McGroddy Prize for New Materials (2003); Harrison Howe Award, University of Rochester (2002); MRS Medal (2002); Feynman Prize in Nanotechnology (2001); NSF Creativity Award (1996); and ACS Award in Pure Chemistry (1992). He is an elected member of the National Academy of Sciences, the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, the National Academy of Medicine, the National Academy of Inventors, National Academy of Engineering, and an elected Foreign Member of the Chinese Academy of Sciences (2015).
How much is Charles Lieber’s Net Worth?
Charles Lieber is a very talented and award-winning chemist as well as a pioneer in nanoscience and nanotechnology. He has published over 400 papers in peer-reviewed journals and is the principal inventor on more than 50 patents. In his spare time, Lieber has been active in commercializing nanotechnology and founded the nanotechnology company Nanosys, Inc. in 2001 and the new nanosensor company Vista Therapeutics in 2007. His net worth and salary as of 2020 is under review but it will be added once we get information about it. Recently, he was charged for lying about China ties and the judge sets $1 Million for bail. He is charged with concealing the funding he received from the Chinese government. Prosecutors initially asked Thursday that Lieber’s bail be set at $1.5 million, requesting that his Lexington, Mass. home be used as collateral.
Is Charles Lieber Married?
Regarding his marital status, there is no exact information revealed by any sources neither by himself. In addition to this, there are no any rumors about his dating anyone. As his age is 60, he is assumed to be married. More information regarding his marital status, girlfriend, affairs children, dating will be updated soon once we get information regarding it. His sexual orientation is straight.
How tall is Charles Lieber?
Being at the age of sixty, Charles has maintained his body a lot. His body build is slim. He has got a tall height matching with his body weight. As of now, his accurate body information about his height, weight, body measurement, waist size and more have not been revealed yet but it will be updated soon. He wears glass which makes him very cool. His eye color is brown and hair color is black-brown. Overall, he has got a healthy body.
- 1 No Link Between Harvard Scientist Charles Lieber and Coronavirus
- 2 What is the birthplace of Charles Lieber?
- 3 How Charles Lieber Began His Career?
- 4 What is the Research Contribution made by Charles Lieber?
- 5 What are the Current Research Charles Lieber?
- 6 Federal Arrest of Charles Lieber
- 7 Awards of Charles Lieber
- 8 How much is Charles Lieber’s Net Worth?
- 9 Is Charles Lieber Married?
- 10 How tall is Charles Lieber?