Gordon Banks was an English professional footballer who played as a goalkeeper.
Facts of Gordon Banks
|Full Name:||Gordon Banks|
|Birth Date:||December 30, 1937|
|Death Date:||May 27, 2022|
|Birth Place:||Sheffield, England|
|Net Worth:||$15 M|
|When did Gordon Banks get married ? (married date):||, 1955|
|Relationship affair ?:||No|
|Is gay ?:||No|
|Height / How tall :||6.1 inch|
|Best Match for Marriage:||Scorpio, Virgo, Taurus|
|View more / View fewer Facts of Gordon Banks|
Gordon Banks was an English professional footballer who played as a goalkeeper. He made 628 appearances during a 15-year career in the Football League and won 73 caps for England, highlighted by starting every game of the nation’s 1966 World Cup victory. Unfortunately, at the age of 81, he died in his sleep on 12th February 2019.
- An English professional footballer who played as a goalkeeper.
- The second-best goalkeeper of the 20th century.
- His handling, awareness, composure, and mental strength, as well as his agility, speed, and quick reflexes.
Gordon Banks funeral to be held on the anniversary of Stoke City’s greatest triumph
Gordon Banks’ funeral will take place at Stoke Minster early next month, it has been confirmed.
A service for the Stoke City hero, who died on 12th February 2019 at the age of 81, will take place on March 4, the 47th anniversary of the club’s League Cup win at Wembley – a triumph in which he was so proud to have played a major role. Access to the service is strictly by invitation only and will start at 1.30pm.
Early Life of Gordon Banks
Gordon Banks was born in Abbeydale, Sheffield, England. His nationality is British and belongs to White ethnicity. His birth sign is Capricorn. However, as there is not much information known about his parents, siblings, childhood and education background will be updating it shortly.
Career and Achievements of Gordon Banks
- Banks joined Chesterfield in March 1953 and played for their youth team in the 1956 FA Youth Cup final.
- He made his first-team debut in November 1958 and was sold to Leicester City for £7,000 in July 1959.
- He played in four cup finals for the club, as they were beaten in the 1961 and 1963 FA Cup finals, before winning the League Cup in 1964 and finishing as finalists in 1965.
- Despite this success and his World Cup win in 1966, he was dropped by Leicester and sold on to Stoke City for £50,000 in April 1967.
- In the 1970 World Cup, he made one of the game’s great saves to prevent a Pelé goal but was absent due to illness as England were beaten by West Germany at the quarter-final stage.
- He was Stoke City’s goalkeeper in the 1972 League Cup win, the club’s only major honor. He was still Stoke and England’s number one when a car crash in October 1972 cost him both the sight in his right eye and eventually his professional career.
- Banks played his 73rd and final game for England on 27 May 1972, in a 1–0 win over Scotland at Hampden Park. During his 73 international games, he kept 35 clean sheets and lost just nine games.
- He played two last seasons in the United States for the Fort Lauderdale Strikers in 1977 and 1978, and despite only having a vision in one eye, was NASL Goalkeeper of the Year in 1977 after posting the best defensive record in the league. He briefly entered management with Telford United but left the game in December 1980.
- Regarded as one of the greatest goalkeepers of all time, Banks was named FWA Footballer of the Year in 1972, and was named FIFA Goalkeeper of the Year on six occasions.
- The IFFHS named Banks the second-best goalkeeper of the 20th century, after Lev Yashin (1st) and ahead of Dino Zoff (3rd).
- Shortly after his retirement, Banks was surprised by Eamonn Andrews for an episode of This Is Your Life. He later fronted a Leicester-based hospitality company.
- He was appointed as Stoke City’s president following the death of Stanley Matthews. Since the 1980s he was a member of the three-man pools panel.
- In 1980, Banks published his first autobiography, Banks of England. He published a more comprehensive autobiography in 2002: Banksy: My Autobiography. Irish investigative author, Don Mullan, published a boyhood memoir in 2006 called Gordon Banks – A Hero Who Could Fly in which he wrote about the influence of the England goalkeeper on his life.
- Banks was an Inaugural Inductee to the English Football Hall of Fame in 2002. Similarly, In March 2004, he was named by Pelé as one of the world’s 125 greatest living footballers. He was awarded an honorary doctorate from Keele University in February 2006.
- In May 2006, Banks was the first ‘legend’ to be inducted into a new Walk of Fame, by having a plaque installed in the pavement in front of Sheffield Town Hall.
- In July 2008, Pelé unveiled a statue of Banks making his famous 1970 World Cup save outside the Britannia Stadium.
- In March 2011, he was also inducted into the City of Stoke-on-Trent Hall of Fame, along with Roy Sproson. Pelé became a good friend of Banks and following his death, the Brazilian described Banks as a “goalkeeper with magic”.
Net Worth of Gordon Banks
According to some online sources, the estimated net worth of Gordon Banks is said to be $ 15 Million before his death. He is satisfied with his earnings. The major source of her income is from his football career.
Personal Life of Gordon Banks
Talking about his personal life, He is a married man. He was married to Ursula Banks. They first met during his national service in Germany in 1955. Later, They fall in love and tied knot. Together, they have three children; Wendy Banks, Julia Banks, Robert Banks. They are satisfied with their married life and seems to happy before his death.
Caused of Death
The talented goalkeeper, Banks is no more with us. He passed away peacefully on 12th February 2019. He was found died in his apartment which located in Stoke-on-Trent, England. According to his post mortem report, he was died because of a long illness. All fans are devastated to lose him but we have so many happy memories and could not have been more proud of him.
Body Measurements of Gordon Banks
Moving towards his body measurements, He stands 6 feet 1 inch tall. and weighs 83 Kg. Similarly, his hair color is white-brown and eyes color is dark brown. Apart from this, there is no other information about his body measurements. So, stay tuned for the update.