Facts of Irrfan Khan
|Full Name:||Irrfan Khan|
|Age:||56 years 2 months|
|Birth Date:||January 07, 1967|
|Best Match for Marriage:||Scorpio, Virgo, Taurus|
|View more / View fewer Facts of Irrfan Khan|
Irrfan Khan was a popular Indian actor cited as one of the finest actors in Indian cinema, whose acting was not only limit to the Hindi cinema but was popular in British and American films as well. Khan had spanned over 30 years of his life to the cinema earning several reputed awards and honors including a National Film Award, an Asian Film Award, and four Filmfare Awards.
With his debut from a small role in “Salaam Bombay!”(1988), Irrfan reached the fame that every actor desire, with his first breakthrough from drama, “Haasil”(2003). Reflecting his Hollywood journey, Khan has appeared in “The Warrior”(2001), “Slumdog Millionaire”(2008), “The Amazing Spider-Man”(2012), “Life of Pi”(2012), “Jurassic World”(2015) and “Inferno”(2016).
However, on April 29, 2020, during the ongoing pandemic of COVID-19, Irrfan bed goodbye to the world following colon infection, causing a great loss to the world of cinema.
What was Irrfan Khan Famous for?
- Famous for his outstanding roles in “Hindi Medium”, “Slumdog Millionaire”, “Life of Pi”.
Where was Irrfan Khan Born?
Irrfan Khan was born on January 7, 1967, in Jaipur, Rajasthan, India. His birth name was Sahabzade Irfan Ali Khan. Khan’s nationality was Indian. He belonged to Pathan ancestry while Capricorn was his zodiac sign.
Khan was born to an economically unstable Muslim family to Saeeda Begum Khan(mother) and Yaseen Ali Khan(father). His parents were normal people who used to run a tire business at the time to earn a little money to feed their children. His mother died 4 days earlier Irrfan died. Irrfan was raised along with his 3 siblings: two brothers: Salman Khan and Imran Khan and a sister, Rukhsana Begum, in Tonk(Rajasthan’s district) and later in Jaipur.
Irrfan had an interest in sports especially in cricket since his childhood, that he was once even selected to play in the CK Nayudu Trophy, a tournament seen as a stepping stone to first-class cricket in India. However, even with his will, he didn’t attend it as he couldn’t afford the travel expenses.
Irrfan began to show more interest in acting after he got influenced by his maternal uncle who himself was a theatre artist in Jodhpur. Later, he began to do several stage performances in his hometown, Jaipur and even met noted theatre artists.
Khan completed his MA in Jaipur after which he went to New Delhi, where he joined the National School of Drama(NSD) as a scholar student to study acting in 1984. During his early days in Bombay, he had to do a lot of struggle to adjust to the society as he even worked as an air conditioner repairman and one of the houses he visited to repair an air conditioner was the house of late superstar, Rajesh Khanna.
How did Irrfan Khan Die?
Irrfan Khan’s death has caused a massive impact on the cinema industry as it has led to a great loss of one of the finest appealing actors of Bollywood. Khan passed away on Wednesday morning, April 29, 2020, at the age of 53, due to colon infection. Khan was admitted to the Kokilaben Hospital, Mumbai, on Tuesday, April 28, 2020, after his body showed some negative response immediately after which he was enrolled in the ICU.
Besides, Irrfan also had been battling with neuroendocrine tumors for a long time as announced by Khan himself on March 16, 2018, through his Twitter post. He even had traveled abroad for his treatment and had recovered from the tumor as well.
However, Khan couldn’t survive his battle to life after he was affected by colon infection. His death has left everyone in tears. His dead body was buried at the Versova Kabrastan in Mumbai at 3 pm, which was attended by his close relatives and family.
Irrfan Khan’s Career Highlights
- Irrfan Khan began his career as an actor with his minor role in Mira Nair’s “Salaam Bombay!” in 1988. Later, he played the role of Lenin in a teleplay on Doordarshan titled “Laal Ghaas Par Neele Ghode”.
- Khan then was cast as a psycho killer in the serial, “Darr”. He then appeared in television series, “Kahkashan”, “Star Bestsellers”, “Bhanvar”, “Chanakya”, “Bharat Ek Khoj”, “Sara Jahan Hamara”, “Banegi Apni Baat”, “Chandrakanta”, “Shrikant”.
- In 1989, he was featured opposite Roopa Ganguly in the drama film, “Kamla Ki Maut”. He played the role of Valmiki in Sanjay Khan’s serial, “Jai Hanuman” in 1998.
- Khan got his first British debut as a lead role of Lafcadio in the film, “The Warrior” in 2001.
- In 2003, Khan appeared in the film, “Road to Ladakh” and also played the title role in an adaptation of Shakespeare’s Macbeth, “Maqbool”.
- Khan got his first breakthrough as a villain in a film, “Haasil” in 2003 for which he even won a Filmfare Award.
- Khan got his first lead role in Bollywood with film, “Rog” in 2005. He also played the role of an antagonist in the Telugu film, “Sainikudu” in 2006.
- In 2007, he got his other biggest role in the box office hits “The Namesake” and “Life in a… Metro”.
- Khan got his biggest International success with his appearance as a police inspector in the Oscar-nominated film, “Slumdog Millionaire” in 2008.
- He was then featured in “Acid Factory”, “New York”, “New York, I Love You”. He was also seen in the third season of the HBO series, “In Treatment” in 2010.
- Khan then played the role of Dr. Rajit Ratha in the Marvel film, “The Amazing Spider-Man” in 2012. The same year, he played the role of an adult version of Pi in the widely acclaimed movie, “Life of Pi”.
- He got another breakthrough after he played the lead role in “Paan Singh Tomar”(2012) for which he even won the National Film Award for Best Actor.
- In 2013, Khan got more recognition after he starred in the Grand Rail d’Or winning film, “The Lunchbox”.
- He then starred in Hindi blockbuster movies including “Gunday” and “Haider”.
- In 2015, he played the lead role in the film Piku alongside Deepika Padukone and Amitabh Bachchan. He was also featured in “Jurassic World”, “Talvar”, “Jazbaa”, “Inferno”, “Madaari”, “Qarib Qarib Singlle”, “Karwan”.
- Khan got his biggest breakout after he played the lead role of Raj Batra in film, “Hindi Medium” in 2017. The movie turned out to be a massive hit in India and China, becoming his highest-grossing Hindi release.
- His last and final film appearance was in the sequel of Hindi Medium, “Angrezi Medium” which was released on March 13, 2020.
Awards and Honors!
- International Indian Film Academy Award for “Hindi Medium”(2018), “Life in a… Metro”(2008)
- Filmfare Awards for the Best Actor for “Hindi Medium”(2018), “Paan Singh Tomar”(2013), “Life in a… Metro”(2008), “Haasil”(2004)
- Screen Awards for “Hindi Medium”(2018), “Paan Singh Tomar”(2013), “Life in a… Metro”(2008), “Haasil”(2004)
- Screen Actors Guild Award for “Slumdog Millionaire”(2008)
- National Film Awards for the Best Actor for the film “Paan Singh Tomar”(2013)
- Dubai International Film Festival for the Best Actor for “The Lunchbox”(2013)
- Asian Film Awards for “The Lunchbox”(2013)
- Asia-Pacific Film Festival for the Outstanding Achievement Award for “The Lunchbox”(2013)
- 2 Producers Guild Film Awards for “The Lunchbox”(2014)
- Indian Film Festival of Melbourne for “Piku”(2014)
- Stardust Awards for the Performer Of The Year for “Talvar”(2016)
- Star Screen Awards for “Talvar”(2016)
- News18 Reel Movie Awards for “Hindi Medium”(2018)
Besides, in 2011, Irrfan was awarded “Padma Shri”: India’s fourth-highest civilian award and International Indian Film Academy Awards from Outstanding Achievement in International Cinema.
Who was Irrfan Khan Married to?
Irrfan Khan was a married man. Khan was married to his only wife, Sutapa Sikdar, who is an Indian film producer, dialogue writer, and screenplay writer. The couple got married in a ritual wedding on February 23, 1995.
They together share two sons: Ayaan Khan and Babil Khan. They had been living a great life together until, Irrfan passed away on April 29, 2020, leaving an empty hole in the family forever.
How Tall was Irrfan Khan?
Irrfan Khan was undoubtedly a precious gem to the world of cinema. Khan had good looks that used to differ him from others more specifically his big dark brown appealing eyes. He had a maintained athletic body physique with chest: 41 inches, waist: 33 inches, and biceps: 12 inches. He had a height of 6ft.(1.83m) while his body weighs was around 75kg(165 lbs).
He had brown complexion with black hair.
What was the Net Worth of Irrfan Khan?
Irrfan Khan, being one of the finest actors of Hindi cinema, had undoubtedly great earnings from his professional career as an actor. Khan had been working in this field for over 3 decades, establishing himself to be a good human and actor every day. With his more than 30 years of experience, he had easily managed to amass a million worth fortune from his several hit movies and brand endorsements all over the world.
Khan’s estimated net worth at the time of his death was around $50 million(Rs. 344 crores) while he used to earn around $12-14 crore per movie. With his million worth property, he had been able to give his family a lavish lifestyle that his family hadn’t before. Besides, he is also on the top spot when it comes to paying Income Tax, he is one of the highest taxpayers in the country.
Khan also had million worth properties which include a luxurious house in Mumbai, an apartment flat in Juhu, and multiple real estate properties across the country. Irrfan was also a car enthusiast as he had a collection of several car brands: Toyota Celica, BMW, Maserati Quattroporte, and an Audi.