Facts of Jill Scott
|Full Name:||Jill Scott|
|Age:||51 years 1 months|
|Birth Date:||April 04, 1972|
|Best Match for Marriage:||Leo|
|View more / View fewer Facts of Jill Scott|
Jill Scott is an American singer-songwriter, model, poet, and actress who is well-known for her soulful lyrics in songs like “Hate on Me”. Scott made her debut with her album, “Who Is Jill Scott? Words and Sounds Vol. 1″(2000) that went platinum and was even nominated in 2001 Grammy Awards. Within her 2 decade-long career, Scott managed to win 3 Grammy Awards for her hit singles, “Cross My Mind”, “God Bless the Child” and “Daydreamin”.
On July 10, 2020, NFL linebacker Kyle Quiero questioned about Scott’s attractiveness in a series of since-deleted tweets for which he received several backlashes from musicians such as K. Michelle and Tory Lanez for which she had the best response as after finding she was trending she directed the attention on seeking justice for Breonna Taylor, Oluwatoyin Salau, and Sandra Bland.
Besides, Scott is quite active and popular on social sites with over 1.6 million followers on her Twitter: @missjillscott and over 2.7 million followers on her Instagram: @missjillscott.
What is Jill Scott famous for?
- Famous as Grammy-winning singer-songwriter.
Where was Jill Scott Born?
Jill Scott was born on April 4, 1972, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States. Her birth name is Jill Scott. Her nationality is American. Scott belongs to African-American ethnicity while Aries is her zodiac sign.
Jill grew up an only child in a North Philadelphia neighborhood and was raised by her mother, Joyce Scott, and grandmother. She was a loved child and was raised completely as a Jehovah’s Witness. She attended Philadelphia High School for Girls, after graduating which she joined Temple University.
Jill was aware of her family condition since she was very young as she started working 2 jobs while she was studying secondary education. Her first aim was to be a high school English teacher, however, after three years of study and then serving as a teacher’s aide, Scott became disillusioned with a teaching career, and she dropped out of college.
She then began her performing career as a spoken word artist at live poetry readings during her early career. She was eventually discovered by Ahmir “Questlove” Thompson of a hip hop band, “The Roots”.
Her professional career started with collaboration in co-writing the Grammy-winning song, “You Got Me” of the rock band. Later, she also joined a fellowship at a theater company in Philadelphia to pursue a career in acting.
Jill Scott’s Career Highlights
- Jill Scott debuted as an artist during a Roots live show, singing as original artist/singer of “You Got Me”. Soon she was signed to Steve McKeever’s ‘Hidden Beach Recordings’ label as its first artist.
- Her debut album, “Who Is Jill Scott? Words and Sounds Vol. 1” was released on July 18, 2000. She got much recognition for the album and its hit single, “A Long Walk” “Cross My Mind”
- On November 20, 2001, her live album, “Experience: Jill Scott 826+” was released. Followed by the release of her second full-length album, “Beautifully Human: Words and Sounds Vol. 2” on August 31, 2004.
- In 2007, Scott was featured on the George Benson and Al Jarreau collaboration single “God Bless The Child”.
- Scott was prominently featured on hip hop artist Lupe Fiasco’s single “Daydreaming”, which won a 2008 Grammy for Best Urban/Alternative Performance.
- Her third studio album titled “The Real Thing: Words and Sounds Vol. 3” was released on September 25, 2007.
- Her first feature film appearance was as Big Mama Thorton in 2007 film, “Hounddog”.
- In 2008, Scott appeared as Precious Ramotswe in Anthony Minghella’s film adaption of Alexander McCall Smith’s series of books “The No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency”.
- On February 7, 2008, her second live album, “Live in Paris+”, consisting of 8 songs was released.
- In 2010, Scott was sued by Hidden Beach Records for leaving halfway through her six-album contract and also claimed that she owed million dollar damages.
- On August 30, 2011, a compilation album, “The Original Jill Scott from the Vault, Vol. 1.” was released.
- After Scott’s four-year break her fourth studio album titled “The LIght of the Sun” was released. The same, she signed a multi-tour deal with Live Nation to expand her concert touring.
- The album’s official debut single was “So in Love” that debuted at No. 43 on the US Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart.
- On July 24, 2015, her fifth album, “Woman” was released which is the first album she has released on Atlantic Records. The album debuted at number one on the Billboard 200 Albums Chart.
- In 2016, she was featured on “The Hamilton Mixtape”.
Jill Scott’s Husband
Jill Scott has been married twice. Her first marriage was with her long-time boyfriend, Lyzel Williams that lasted six years. William is a graphic artist and DJ, with whom she dated for 7 years before getting married in 2001 in a private Hawaiian ceremony during a vacation. Scott wrote and recorded the song “He Loves Me” about Williams. However, after 6 years of marriage, the couple divorced in 2007.
A year later, Scott began dating Li’l John Roberts, her drummer with whom she shared a long on-stage kiss during a concert in New York’s Carnegie Hall, on June 20, 2008, and claimed that they were engaged.
On April 20, 2009, they welcomed their son named Jett Hamilton Roberts. Just after a month, she announced getting broken up with Roberts and agreed on the upbringing of their son together.
On June 25, 2016, Scott got married to her second husband, Mike Dobson. Dobson is her long-term boyfriend with whom she got married in a private ceremony. However, just after 15 months of marriage, she filed for divorce from Dobson in 2017.
Besides, she is a philanthropist and has established the Blues Babe Foundation to help young minority students pay for university expenses.
On July 10, 2020, NFL linebacker Kyle Quiero questioned Scott’s attractiveness for which she gave the best response by directing the attention on seeking justice for Breonna Taylor, Oluwatoyin Salau, and Sandra Bland instead of defending herself.
A day after the backlash ensued, Queiro shared a lengthy apology on social media, insisting he never intended to make Scott feel less.
Jill Scott’s Net Worth
Jill Scott has quite good earnings from her professional career as an actress. Having started her successful acting career for over 25 years, Scott has managed to amass a healthy fortune from her several appearances on TV series, and movies. Her net worth is estimated to be around $14 million.
Jill Scott’s Height
Jill Scott is a beautiful lady in her 40s. With her acting skills and charming personality, Scott has managed to win several hearts all around the country. She stands tall with a height of 5ft. 6inch.(1.68m) while her body weight was around 78kg(171 lbs).
Her body measurement is 40-30-32 inches with brown hair and brown eyes.