John Winston Ono Lennon MBE was an English singer, songwriter, musician and peace activist who achieved worldwide fame as the founder, co-lead vocalist, and rhythm guitarist of the Beatles.
Facts of John Lennon
|Full Name:||John Lennon|
|Birth Date:||October 09, 1940|
|Death Date:||December 08, 1980|
|Birth Place:||Liverpool, England, UK|
|When did John Lennon get married ? (married date):||, 1969|
|Children:||Sean Lennon, Julian Lennon|
|Relationship affair ?:||No|
|Is gay ?:||No|
|Father's Name:||Alfred Lennon|
|Mother's Name:||Julia Lennon|
|Height / How tall :||5.9 inch|
|Best Match for Marriage:||Gemini|
|View more / View fewer Facts of John Lennon|
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
War is over ... If you want it.
Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
John Lennon was a British singer, songwriter, and peace activist who was the co-founder of the band “The Beatles” which is one of the most successful bands in the history of popular music. He has appeared in many movies and television shows. In 2008, he was ranked the eight greatest singers of all time by Rolling Stone.
What was John Lennon famous for?
- Famous as the British singer, songwriter, and peace activist
- Famous as the co-founder of the famous band, The Beatles.
When was John Lennon born?
John Lennon was born on 9th October 1940 in Liverpool, England, UK. His birth name is John Winston Lennon. American is his nationality. His ethnicity is Irish. Libra is his zodiac sign.
He was born to Alfred Lennon(father) and Julia Lennon(mother). His father was a merchant seaman and he wasn’t present at the time of his son’s birth. His parents named him after his grandfather, John, and Prime Minister, Winston Churchill. His father was often away from home due to his work.
When his father returned home after one year, his mother was carrying a baby of another man, Boby Dykins so, his parents got divorced when he was 5 years old. He lived with his mother and he had no contact with his father for 20 years.
He was raised in Mendips by his aunt and uncle who had no children of their own. As a child, he was very naughty and a prankster. He had two cousins, Stanley Parkes, and Leila Harey. He did his schooling at Dovedale Primary School and Quarry Bank High School. At the age of 16, he got his first guitar and started playing it. His mother died on 15th July 1958 in a car accident.
He attended Liverpool College of Art after his aunt, Mimi and headmaster intervened due to his failure in the O-level examination. He was threatened with expulsion after he started wearing Teddy Boy Clothes in the college. He along with his friends was restricted from college just before his final year due to his behavior. At the age of 15, he founded a skiffle group “The Quarrymen” along with Paul McCartney. This group later turned into “The Beatles”.
Cause of Death
- When John Lennon was returning home with his wife, Yoko Ono on 8th December 1980, at 10:50 pm his crazy fan, Mark David Chapman shot him in his back four times in close range. After the incident, he was rushed to the Roosevelt hospital but was pronounced dead on arrival at 11:00 pm. At the age of 40 years, he was murdered by Chapman.
The Career of John Lennon
- John Lennon started his professional music career by forming the band “The Beatles” from his skiffle group “The Quarryman” along with his friend, McCartney in 1960.
- His band’s members included other aspiring musicians like George Harrison, Stuart Sutcliffe, and Pete Best. A couple of years later Paul Best was replaced by drummer Ringo Starr.
- The band released their first single “Love me do” in October 1962. In the early 1960s his band “The Beatles became very popular in Britain with various hit albums like ‘Please Please Me’, ‘She Loves You’, and ‘I Want To Hold Your Hand’.
- In 1964, his band “The Beatles” became the first British band to achieve a breakthrough in the country, surpassing the success of the US rock bands after the band performed in the United States.
- The band also got recognition from the British establishment after they got appointed as Members of the Order of the British Empire(MBE) in Queens Birthday honors in 1965.
- The Beatles also tried acting and starred in the 1964 film, ‘A Hard Day’s Night’ which was a huge success.
- The band together had appeared in many movies such as Help(1965), How I won the war(1967), Two Virgins(1968), Muhammad Ali the greatest(1969), Fly(1970), Eat the document(1972), and Clock(1971).
- Some of the TV series that they appeared in are Ready Steady Go, Rape, Around the Beatles, Imagine, and A salute to the Beatles: Once upon a time.
- The Beatles were enjoying great success for a few years. However, the unexpected death of their manager, Brian Epstein, in 1967 led to the Beatles’ disbanding in the year 1969.
- After leaving the band in 1969 and he started his solo music career. His debut solo album ‘John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band’ was released in 1970.
- In 1973, he took a break from music to focus on his family life. He used to drink excessive alcohol and often used to become the headline for alcoholism.
- His last album was ‘Double Fantasy’ which got released in October 1980 before his death in December.
- He had also written two books, “In his own Write” and “A Spaniard in the Works”.
John Lennon was the co-founder of the band “The Beatles” along with Paul McCartney in 1960. His band is the best selling brand in the history of music with estimated sales of 600 million records worldwide.
The band members other than him were McCartney, George Harrison, Ringo Starr, and Stuart Sutcliffe. The band was awarded six Diamond albums, 24 Multi-Platinum albums, 39 Platinum albums, and 45 Gold albums in the United States.
They also won Grammy Award for Song of the Year for ‘Michelle’ in 1967. The Beatles also received the Grammy Lifetime Achievement award in 2014. The band also won the Academy Award for Best Music (Original Song Score) for the documentary film ‘Let It Be’ in 1970.
In 1977, they won the Brit Award for the Best British Group. One of the best bands in the world, The Beatles got separated in 1969 after the band’s manager, Brian Epstein’s death in 1967.
Who was John Lennon married to?
The British singer, John Lennon was married to Yoko Ono at the time of his death. They tied the knot in 1969. Yoko Ono is a multimedia artist, singer, and peace activist. The couple was blessed with a son, Sean Lennon.
Previously, he was married to his college girlfriend, Cynthia Powell. They tied the knot in 1962. He also had a son, Julian Lennon from his first marriage. The couple got divorced in 1968 due to some issues. He was living in New York City with his family before his death.
What was the net worth of John Lennon?
The co-founder of The Beatles, John Lennon had an estimated net worth of USD 800 million in the early 1980s.
He was living a luxurious life with his earnings. He was earning from the sales of his music albums. He also earned a handsome income with his band “The Beatles” from the album’s sales.
How tall was John Lennon?
The late British singer, John Lennon was a handsome and charming guy. His height was 5ft 9inches(1.75m) and his body weight was 63kg(139lbs) at the time of his death. He had a fair complexion with brown hair and brown eyes. He had a huge number of fans due to his appearance. His favorite color was Green.