Dame Julie Andrews DBE is an English actress, singer, and author. With a career spanning seven decades, she has been the recipient of several accolades, including one British Academy Film Award, one Academy Award, two Emmy Awards, and three Grammy Awards.
Facts of Julie Andrews
|Full Name:||Julie Andrews|
|Age:||86 years 11 months|
|Birth Date:||October 01, 1935|
|Birth Place:||Walton-on-Thames, United Kingdom|
|Net Worth:||$30 million|
|Children:||Emma Walton Hamilton, Amy Edwards, Joanna Edwards|
|Relationship affair ?:||No|
|Is lesbian ?:||No|
|Height / How tall :||5 feet and 8 inches|
|Best Match for Marriage:||Gemini|
|View more / View fewer Facts of Julie Andrews|
Perseverance is failing 19 times and succeeding the 20th.
I hate the word wholesome.
Sometimes I'm so sweet even I can't stand it.
Julie Andrews is a British actress, known for her role in the films including Mary Poppins, Victor/Victoria, The Sound of Music, Mary Poppins and much more. She has received various awards such as Academy Awards, three Grammys, BAFTA, five Golden Globes, Screen Actors Guild Lifetime Achievement Awards, two Emmys and more. Apart from acting, Andrews is a singer as well as author who has written children’s books and published autobiography like Home: A Memoir of My Early Years. To know more about her, keep reading below.
Who are the parents of Julie Andrews?
Recalling her early life, Julie was born in Walton-on-Thames, Surrey England to the parents Barbara Ward Wells and Edward Charles Wells, a teacher of metalwork and woodwork. Her parents divorced after the outbreak of World War II.
She grew up with his father and brother John in Surrey. She belonged to a low-income family and lived in a slum area of London when she was a child. Later, her parents improved their career and moved to better surroundings in Beckenham and then in Hersham.
Regarding her education, she studied in Cone-Ripman School and later she attended the Woodbrook School, in Beckenham.
When did Julie Addrews begin to start acting?
- Julie made her first stage performance with her mother and step-father at her early age in 1945, and she continued it for the next two years.
- She made a solo debut in London Hippodrome, singing the difficult aria, Je Sui’s Titania from Mignon as a part of a musical revue called Starling Road in October 1947 and performed there nearly a year.
- At the age of 13, she became one of the youngest solo performers in a Royal Command Variety Performance for King George VI and Queen Elizabeth at the London Palladium, performing with Danny Kaye, the Nicholas Brothers and the comedy team Georg and Bert Bernard.
- She made her television debut on the BBC program Radiolympia Showtime on 8th October 1949. In the same year, she dubbed her voice for the role Princess Zeila in the English language Italian animated movie, La Rosa di Bagdad, directed by Anton Gino Domenighni. Later, she played in jack and the Beanstalk, Little Red Riding Hood and lead role in Cinderella.
- She made her Boardway debut in the third-longest running musical The Boy Friend. It was one of the successful London musicals where she was the stand-out performer in the show.
- After playing several roles in the theater, she portrayed the character of Mary Poppins in Robert Stevenson’s directed Disney’s musical-fantasy movie Mary Poppins. Then, she appeared in films including Stars!, and Darling Lili, directed by her second husband Blake Edwards. Her next successful hit movie was The Sound of Music, where she is seen opposite Christopher Plummer.
- Apart from acting, Andrews has published, Home: A Memory of My Early, an autobiography which was the best-selling memoir, published on 1st April 2008 by Hyperion. Andrews has even published different children’s books like The Last of the Great Whangdoodles.
- Moreover, Andrews has also worked in famous hit TV series as well as a stage show, Victor/Victoria and The Julie Andrews Hour. Also, she has given her voice in the animated movies including Shrek animated movie, The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement, Despicable Me, Despicable 3, and Aquaman.
What are the achievements of Julie Andrews?
Julie has received different awards in her lifetime. She was honored with a Lifetime Achievement Award at the Screen Actors Guild’s awards in January 2007. Later, she also received the George and Ira Gershwin Award, Grammar Lifetime Achievement Award, Disney Legend Awards, Hamptons Film Festival Lifetime Achievement Awards, Kennedy Center Honors Awards.
Apart from film industry awards, she has received many honorary degrees in recognization of her distinguished career in entertainment. She was honored by the Univerity of Maryland – Doctors of Fine Arts in 1970, Yale University – Doctor of Fine Arts in 1999 and Stony Book University – Doctor of Letter in 2012.
Who is Julie Andrews married to?
Reflecting on her personal life, Julie has been married twice in her lifetime. She first married to Tony Walton, an English set, and costume designer, on 10th May 1959 in Weybridge, Surrey. The couple first met in 1948 at the London Casino in the Humpty Dumpty. The couple birth to a daughter named Emma Kathrine Walton in 1962. After eight years of marital relationship, the couple divorced in 1967.
After two years of divorce with Tony, she married Blake Edwards, an American movie director, screenwriter, and producer in 1969. They adopted two daughters named Amy and Joanna in the 1970s. She was with her husband until his last breath in 2010. As of now, she is the grandmother of nine children.
How much net worth does Julie Andrews own?
As per online sites, Julie has successfully collected an estimated net worth of $45 million from her career in acting, singing, and as an author. However, her salary is yet to be disclosed.
How tall is Julie Andrews?
Observing her body physics, Juile stands a height of 5 feet 8 inches and weighs around 58 kg. She has a pair of green eyes and light brown hair color. Her other body information is yet to be disclosed.