Facts of Kris Kristofferson
|Full Name:||Kris Kristofferson|
|Age:||85 years 3 months|
|Birth Date:||June 22, 1936|
|Best Match for Marriage:||Taurus, Pisces, Scorpio|
|View more / View fewer Facts of Kris Kristofferson|
Kris Kristofferson is an American singer-songwriter, and actor who started his music career in the 1970s. During his career, he released 18 studio albums, 3 live albums, 5 compilation albums, 6 collaboration albums. Besides music career, he has appeared in several films and TV series as well, for which he was honored with the Golden Globe Award for Best Actor in the category of Motion Picture Musical or Comedy for A Star is Born in 1976. Let’s know more about him through this article.
What is Kris Kristofferson famous for?
- An American singer-songwriter and actor.
Where is Kris Kristofferson from?
Recalling his early life, Kris was born in Brownsville, Texas, the U.S. to his parents, Lars Henry Kristofferson and Mary Ann Ashbrook in the year 1936 which makes him 84 years old in 2020. Also, he has two siblings named Kraigher Kristofferson and Karen Kraigher Kristofferson. Similarly, he is of American nationality and belongs to White ethnicity. Further, his birth sign is Cancer.
For education, He attended San Mateo High School and later went to Pomona College where he graduated in 1958 with a degree of BA Literature. After that, he enrolled at Oxford University where he graduated with a B.Phil. degree in English literature.
Kris Kristofferson Music Career
- Upon his graduation, He joined the U.S. Army under the pressure from his family where he was commissioned as a second lieutenant and attained the rank of captain.
- Later, He became a helicopter pilot after receiving flight training at Fort Rucker, Alabama.
- During the early-1960s, he was stationed in West Germany as a member of the 8th Infantry Division.
- In 1965, He was given the assignment to teach English literature at West Point after his German tour ended.
- Later, He decided to leave the Army and pursue songwriting. His family disowned him because of his career decision.
- Then, He moved to Nashville and worked at a variety of odd jobs while struggling for success in music.
- He got a job sweeping floors at Columbia Recording Studios in Nashville.
- He also worked as a commercial helicopter pilot for south Louisiana firm Petroleum Helicopters International (PHI), based in Lafayette, Louisiana.
- Later, Cash decided to record after hearing his written song, “Sunday Mornin’ Comin’ Down”, for which he won Songwriter of the Year at the Country Music Awards. Also, Dave Dudley released his written single, “Viet Nam Blues” in 1996.
- After a year, He signed to Epic Records in 1967 and released a single, “Golden Idol/Killing Time”, but the song was not successful.
- Later, he signed with Monument Records as a recording artist.
- In 1970, His debut album for Monument was Kristofferson, which included a few new songs, as well as many of his previous hits.
- In early 1971, He released his second album named Silver Tongued Devil and I. The same year, he released his third album title Border Lord.
- He also swept the Grammy Awards that year with numerous songs nominated, winning country song of the year for “Help Me Make It Through the Night”.
- In 1972, He released his fourth album title Jesus Was a Capricorn. The album had slow sales but the third single, “Why Me”, was a success and significantly increased album sales. It sold over one million copies and was awarded a gold disc by the RIAA on November 8th, 1973.
- In 1974, He released his fifth album title Spooky Lady’s Sideshow which was a commercial failure.
- in 1979, He traveled to Havana, Cuba, to participate in the historic Havana Jam festival that took place on March 2-4, alongside Rita Coolidge, Stephen Stills, and the CBS Jazz All-Stars. His performance is captured on Ernesto Juan Castellanos’s documentary Havana Jam ’79.
- In 1979, He and Coolidge appeared on The Muppet Show, where he sang “Help Me Make It Through the Night” with Miss Piggy, Coolidge sang “We’re All Alone” with forest animals, and the pair sang “Song I’d Like to Sing” with the Muppet monsters.
- In 1982, He participated in The Winning Hand with Willie Nelson, Dolly Parton, and Brenda Lee. The album reached the top-ten on the U.S. country album charts.
- In 1985, He starred in Trouble in Mind and released Repossessed, a politically aware album that was a country success, particularly “They Killed Him”, a tribute to his heroes including Martin Luther King, Jr., Jesus, and Mahatma Gandhi.
- In 1990, He began his solo career.
- In 1999, He released his album title, The Austin Sessions.
- In 2003, Broken Freedom Song was released, a live album recorded in San Francisco.
- The same year, He received the “Spirit of Americana” free speech award from The Americana Music Association.
- In 2004, He was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame.
- In 2006, He received the Johnny Mercer Award from the Songwriters Hall of Fame and released his first album full of new material in 11 years; This Old Road.
- In 2007, He won CMT’s Johnny Cash Visionary Award.
- In July 2007, He was featured on CMT’s “Studio 330 Sessions” where he played many of his hits.
- In 2008, He performed an acoustic in the round set with Patty Griffin and Randy Owen (Alabama) for a special tapping of a PBS songwriter series.
- In 2009, He released a new album of original songs entitled Closer to the Bone.
- The same year, He was honored as a BMI Icon at the 57th annual BMI Country Awards.
- In 2011, He performed a solo acoustic show at the Maui Arts and Cultural Center, showcasing both some of his original hits made famous by other artists and newer songs.
- In early 2013, He released a new album of original songs called Feeling Mortal. A live album titled An Evening With Kris Kristofferson was released in September 2014.
- In 2015, he released his new album, The Cedar Creek Sessions which would include some old and some new songs.
- Later in 2016, The album was nominated for a Grammy Award for Best Americana Album.
- He covered Brandi Carlile’s “Turpentine” on the 2017 album Cover Stories.
- In November 2018, He performed with assistance from Brandi Carlile, the Joni Mitchell composition “A Case of You” at the Both Sides Now – Joni 75. A Birthday Celebration to celebrate the 75th birthday of Joni Mitchell.
- In June 2019, He was announced, he is one of the supporting artists, alongside Bryan Ferry, for a Barbra Streisand “exclusive European concert” in London’s Hyde Park as part of the Barclay’s Summertime Concert series.
- The Silver Tongued Devil and I (1971) – US: Gold
- Border Lord (1972)
- Jesus Was a Capricorn (1972) – US: Gold
- Spooky Lady’s Sideshow (1974)
- Who’s to Bless and Who’s To Blame (1975)
- Surreal Thing (1976)
- Easter Island (1978)
- Shake Hands with the Devil (1979)
- To the Bone (1981)
- Repossessed (1986)
- Third World Warrior(1990)
- A Moment of Forever (1995)
- The Austin Sessions (1999)
- This Old Road (2006)
- Closer to the Bone (2009)
- Feeling Mortal (2013)
- The Cedar Creek Sessions (2016)
When did Kris Kristofferson begin his acting career?
- Kris started his acting career in 1971 with the metafictional drama film, The Last Movie. The same year, He also acted in Cisco Pike.
- In 1972, He appeared with Rita Coolidge on British TV on BBC’s “The Old Grey Whistle Test.”
- For the next several years, he appeared several movies and TV series like Cisco Pike (1972), Blume in Love (1973), The Gospel Road: A Story of Jesus (1973), Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid (1973), Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (1974), A Star Is Born (1976), William Friedkin’s Sorcerer (1977), Convoy (1978), Hanover Street (1979), Freedom Road (1979), and many others.
- In 1980, He was cast in the lead role as Sheriff James in the film, Heaven’s Gate.
- In 1985, He appeared in Amerika, a miniseries that attempted to depict life in America under Soviet control.
- In 1987, He starred in the seven-episode TV series Amerika with Robert Urich and Christine Lahti.
- After a year, He was the male lead in the film Millennium with Cheryl Ladd.
- In 1996, He played a supporting role as Charlie Wade in Lone Star, a film nominated for an Oscar for Best Screenplay.
- After a year, He co-starred in the film Fire Down Below with Steven Seagal in 1997.
- In 1998, He took a role in the film Blade as Blade’s mentor Abraham Whistler. He reprised the role in Blade II (2002) and again in Blade: Trinity (2004).
- In 1999, He co-starred with Mel Gibson in Payback. After that, He appeared in the 2001 Tim Burton version of Planet of the Apes.
- He has also played the title character “Yohan” as an old man in the Norwegian film Yohan: The Children Wanderer.
- In 2011, He co-starred in the film Dolphin Tale and its 2014 sequel, Dolphin Tale 2.
- In 2012, he co-starred in The Motel Life, as well as Angels Sing with Willie Nelson and Lyle Lovett.
- His other notable films and TV series are Dolphin Tale 2 (2014), Texas Rising (2015), Texas Rising (2015), Traded (2016), The Star (2017), Blaze (2018), and many others.
- He also voiced the character Chief Hanlon of the NCR Rangers in the hit 2010 video game Fallout: New Vegas and Ned White of the 2005 video game Gun.
Who is Kris Kristofferson married to?
Reflecting on his personal life, Kris has been married thrice to date. Firstly, he married Fran Beir in 1961. Together, the couple welcomed two children. They are Tracy and Kris. However, their marriage ended in 1973. Then, he married Rita Coolidge in 1973. Together, The couple welcomed one child named Rita Coolidge. Also, this marriage ended in 1980.
After that, he married his third wife, Lisa Meyers, a make-up artist on 18th February 1983 after dating for a year. The couple is blessed with five children. They are Johnny, Robert, Blake Cameron, Jesse Turner, Jody Ray, and Kelly Marie. Presently, the couple is living happily together.
Previously, He has also dated numerous girls like Janis Joplin (1969), Joan Baez (1970-71), Samantha Eggar (1971), Patti Davis, Cherry Vanilla, Carly Simon (1972), Barbra Streisand (1976), Andrea De Portago (1980), and Jane Fonda (1981).
How much is Kris Kristofferson worth?
Being a singer and actor, Kris has an impressive amount of money and fame through his profession in the field of the entertainment industry. Based on some online sites, his estimated net worth said to be $160 million at present. He also earned from his record sales and musical concerts. Further, his assets details are yet to be disclosed.
How tall is Kris Kristofferson?
Observing hid body statistics, Kris stands a height of 5 feet 10 inches and weighs around 90 Kg. Similarly, he has a pair of black eyes and salt and pepper hair color. Further, he has a pair of average body and his body statistics are yet to be disclosed.