Facts of Phyllis George
|Full Name:||Phyllis George|
|Age:||73 years 5 months|
|Birth Date:||June 25, 1949|
|Best Match for Marriage:||Taurus, Pisces, Scorpio|
|View more / View fewer Facts of Phyllis George|
A businesswoman and TV personality, Phyllis George came to limelight after being crowned Miss American 1971 at the age of 21. Then, she appeared several TV series like “Candid Camera” and many others. After ten years, she left her successful television career and moved to Kentucky with her second husband where she served as the First Lady of Kentucky, establishing a museum and doing welfare works, co-writing her first book, ‘The I (Love) America Diet’, during this period. George left the world forever in 2020 after a long fight with a blood disorder. Let’s know more about her through this article.
What is Phyllis George famous for?
- An American businesswoman, actress, and sportscaster.
Where does Phyllis George live?
Recalling her early life, Phyllis was born in Denton, Texas to her parents, James Robert George and Diantha Louise Cogdell in the year 1983 as Phyllis Ann George. She was probably her parent’s only child. Similarly, she is of American nationality and belongs to White ethnicity. Further, Her birth sign is Cancer.
After graduating from school in 1967, she went to North Texas State University.
When did Phyllis George win the pageant of Miss America?
- During her college days, she started working as a part-time model, appearing especially in industrial promotion films.
- Then, she unsuccessfully competed for Miss Texas, appearing in it as Miss Denton, finishing in the fourth place.
- In the following year, she competed for the same titles, but this time as Miss Dallas.
- After that, she entered the Miss America beauty pageant and was crowned Miss America 1971 in the same year.
- Then, she traveled all over the country hopping from one city to another. She also appeared in numerous press conferences and talk shows, answering all types of questions ranging from teen problems and fashion to world affairs. After that, she appeared on ‘The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson’.
- As Miss America, she also addressed youth and church groups, attended pageants and festivals, appeared in commercials.
- In August 1971, she went on a 22 days trip to Vietnam, along with six other beauties, to entertain the US soldiers stationed there. She also visited Mexico and the Bahamas.
Phyllis George Career Timeline
- Moving towards her career, Phyllis began her career through television as a co-host of ‘Candid Camera’, a popular hidden camera reality television series.
Later in the same year, she moved to CBS as regular sports staff, attending horse racing events, including the Preakness Stakes and the Belmont Stakes.
- In 1975, she started co-hosting ‘The NFL Today’, continuing to do so till 1986. She also appeared in other programs, co-hosting three Super Bowl broadcasts and six Rose Bowl Parades during this period.
- In 1978, she also hosted a primetime series entitled ‘People’.
- In 1979, she moved with her husband to Kentucky, where he was elected the 55th Governor. During this period, she took up many welfare activities, establishing the Kentucky Museum of Art and Craft in 1981, refurbishing the Governor’s house, taking care of abused women and children.
- In 1983, she published her first book, ‘The I (Love) America Diet’, which she co-authored with Bill Adler.
- Eventually, she would have six more books published; the last among them being ‘Never Say Never: Yes You Can!’ (2009).
- In 1985, she was given a two-week trial run for the CBS morning news program, eventually signing a three-year contract as a permanent anchor and a co-host of ‘CBS Morning News’. In this capacity, she interviewed many celebrated newsmakers including the then First Lady, Nancy Reagan.
- In 1986, She resigned from CBS and started a food company called ‘Chicken by George’, selling marinated boneless chicken breasts through grocery shops. In 1988, after a successful two-year run, she sold the venture ‘Hormel Foods’.
- In the 1990s, she sporadically returned to the television, hosting her prime-time talk show, ‘A Phyllis George Special’ in 1994.
- In the same decade, she also hosted ‘Spotlight with Phyllis George’ (1995) on The Nashville Network’ (TNN) and ‘Women’s Day’ (1999) on Paxnet TV Network.
- In 2000, she debuted in films, appearing in the role of Linda Banks, a minor character, in ‘Meet the Parents’.
- Three years later, she returned to entrepreneurship, creating ‘Phyllis George Beauty’, which markets a line of cosmetics and skincare products through television shopping network HSN.
- In 2003, she created Phyllis George Beauty, which markets a line of cosmetics and skincare products through television shopping network HSN.
- She also wrote or co-authored five books; three about crafts, one on dieting, and her most recent, Never Say Never (2002).
- Besides these, She was the founder of the Kentucky Museum of Art and Craft and was an avid folk and traditional art collector. She was also a founding member of the Henry Clay Center for Statesmanship.
Who was Phyllis George married to?
Reflecting on her personal life, Phyllis was married twice. Firstly, she was married to Robert Evans on 12th December 1977. However, the couple divorced on 22nd July 1978.
Then, she married her second husband, John Y. Brown Jr., a politician, and businessman, especially known for building Kentucky Fried Chicken into a multimillion-dollar restaurant chain. The couple shared two children together, Lincoln Tyler George Brown and Pamela Ashley Brown. Sadly, the couple also divorced in 1998.
How does Phyllis George die?
Phyllis was passed away on 14th May 2020 at the Albert B. Chandler Hospital in Lexington, Kentucky. She died at the age of 70 due to complications from leukemia.
As per the abc7ny.com, Her children released a joint statement, saying: “For many, Mom was known by her incredible accomplishments as the pioneering female sportscaster, 50th Miss America, and first lady. But this was all before we were born and never how we viewed Mom. To us, she was the most incredible mother we could ever ask for, and it is all of the defining qualities the public never saw, especially against the winds of adversity, that symbolize how extraordinary she is more than anything else. The beauty so many recognized on the outside was a mere fraction of her internal beauty, only to be outdone by an unwavering spirit that allowed her to persevere against all the odds.”
How Much is Phyllis George worth?
Being an actress and businesswoman, Phyllis has a decent amount of money and fame through her profession in the field of the entertainment industry. Based on some online sites, her estimated net worth said to be $10 million until her death. However, the details and salary of her assets are yet to be disclosed.
How tall is Phyllis George?
Before her death, Phyllis stands a height of 5 feet 8 inches and weighs around 55 Kg. Similarly, she has a pair of blue eyes and blonde hair color. Further, her body measures around 33-24-35 inches and her bra size is 38B (US).