Facts of Rooney Mara
|Full Name:||Rooney Mara|
|Age:||38 years 5 months|
|Birth Date:||April 17, 1985|
|Best Match for Marriage:||Leo|
|View more / View fewer Facts of Rooney Mara|
What is Rooney Mara Famous for?
- Famous for her role as Lisbeth Salander in Fincher’s thriller, “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo”(2011).
- Known for her relationship with Oscar-winning actor, Joaquin Phoenix.
Where was Rooney Mara Born? How is Mara’s Family Background?
Rooney Mara was born on April 17, 1985, in Bedford, New York, United States. Her birth name is Patricia Rooney Mara. Her nationality is American Mara belongs to mixed(Irish, German, Italian, English and French-Canadian) ethnicity while Aries is her zodiac sign.
Rooney was born as the third of the four children in a well-to-do family to Timothy Christopher Mara(father) and Kathleen McNulty(mother). Her father, Timothy is the senior vice president of player personnel and the founding family of the New York Giants, while her mother, Kathleen, is a part-time real estate agent and a founding family of the Pittsburgh Steelers, an NFL football team.
Rooney grew up in a healthy and fulfilled environment with all the privilege along with her two brothers, Daniel and Conor, and a sister, Kate Rooney Mara. Her older sister, Kate, is also a popular actress, fashion model, and film producer, known for her role as Zoe Barnes in the Netflix drama, “House of Cards”.
Mara is the great-granddaughter of both New York Giants founder, Tim Mara and Pittsburgh Steelers founder Art Rooney, Sr., as well as of Kathleen McNulty Rooney. Her paternal grandparents were well-known personality, Wellington Timothy Mara, who was one of the most influential and iconic figures in the NFL history and Ann Mara, a businesswoman and socialite.
Her granduncle, Dan Rooney, was also a popular personality, the chairman of the Steelers, and the former United States Ambassador to Ireland. Tom Rooney, U.S. Representative, and former Florida State Representative, Patrick Rooney Jr. are her cousins.
Educational Background of Rooney Mara
Mara attended Fox Lane High School during which she even auditioned for the school play, “Romeo and Juliet” and won the role of Juliet. After she got graduated from high school in 2003, she joined a 4-month study-abroad program, visiting Ecuador, Peru, and Bolivia in South America.
She then attended George Washington University for a year and then got transferred to New York University’s Gallatin School of Individualized Study, graduating with a degree in psychology, international social policy, and nonprofits in 2010.
Mara had an interest in acting from a young age as her mother used to make her watch old movies such as “Gone with the Wind”, “Rebecca” and “Bringing up Baby”. She also wanted to be like her sister, Kate, and during her das in NYU, she even acted in a few student films. Later at the age of 19, she did her first audition for a professional role. Eventually, she got her very first professional role( minor) in a film, “Urban Legends: Bloody Mary” in which Kate starred.
What does Rooney Mara do for Living?
- Rooney Mara made her professional acting debut with her appearance in an episode of the popular TV series, “Law & Order: Special Victims Unit” in 2006.
- Following year, she made a guest appearance on the legal drama, “Women’s Murder Club”, “The Cleaner” and “ER”.
- Mara made her full-fledged film debut playing the role of Evelyn in the film, “Dream Boy” in 2008.
- Mara got her first lead role as Fernanda in a drama film, “Tanner Hall” that debuted at the 2009 Toronto International Film Festival. The film was a critically acclaimed movie as it received the Grand Jury Prize at the Gen Art Film Festival.
- She then starred in three major films, namely, “The Winning Season” as Wendy Webber, “Friends(with benefit)” as Tara, “Dare” as Courtney, and “Youth in Revolt” as Taggarty.
- Mara starred in a remake of the 1984 horror film, “A Nightmare on Elm Street” playing the role of Nancy Holbrook, which was released on October 1, 2010. The film was a huge hit, grossing $115.6 million at the box office.
- She then starred as Erica Albright, the ex-girlfriend of Mark Zuckerberg, in the biopic film, “The Social Network” in 2010. The film debuted at No. 1, grossing $22.4 million in the first week alone, establishing Mara as one of the leading artists in the country.
- Mara was cast in the lead role of Lisbeth Salander in the Swedish–American psychological thriller, “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo”(2011). She got the role over several other actresses including Natalie Portman and Scarlett Johansson. The film was a huge hit as it earned over $233 million at the box office.
- In 2013, she starred as Emily Taylor in crime-thriller film, “Side Effects”. That same year, she starred in David Lowery’s 2013 independent film, “Ain’t Them Bodies Saints” and sci-fi romantic drama, “Her”.
- In 2014, Mara served as the costume designer on her former boyfriend Charlie McDowell’s acclaimed independent film, “The One I Love”. The same year, she starred in the film, “Trash”.
- Mara played the role of Tiger Lily in the Joe Wright-directed fantasy film, “Pan” in 2015. Mara got her biggest breakthrough after she starred as Therese Belivet in the romantic drama film, “Carol” released on November 20, 2015, which was a huge hit and even earned several awards and nominations for her.
- In 2016, Mara voiced The Sisters in the stop motion animated film, “Kubo and the Two Strings”.
- The same year, she starred in hit films including drama film, “Una”, in biopic drama, “Lion”, and the Irish film, “The Secret Scripture”.
- In 2017, Mara appeared in a romantic sci-fi film, “The Discovery” as Isa directed by Charlie McDowell and supernatural drama film, “A Ghost Story” as M.
- She then starred alongside Ryan Gosling, Natalie Portman, Cate Blanchett, and Val Kilmer in Terrence Malick’s “Song to Song” playing the role of Faye in 2017.
- In 2018, Mara appeared as Annu in comedy-drama film, “Don’t Worry, He Won’t Get Far on Foot” opposite Joaquin Phoenix, Jonah Hill, and Jack Black.
- Mara then played the title role as Mary in the biblical drama film, “Mary Magdalene” in 2018. The same year, she collaborated to narrate Chris Delforce’s animal rights documentary, “Dominion” for which she was granted the 2018 Award of Excellence for Narration by Hollywood International Independent Documentary Awards.
- Mara will next star in the thriller, “Nightmare Alley” and in memoir, “A House in the Shy”.