Shawn Porter is an American professional Boxer.
Facts of Shawn Porter
|Full Name:||Shawn Porter|
|Age:||36 years 1 months|
|Birth Date:||October 20, 1987|
|Birth Place:||Ohio, U.S|
|Net Worth:||$3 M|
|When did Shawn Porter get married ? (married date):||, 2014|
|Relationship affair ?:||No|
|Is gay ?:||No|
|Father's Name:||Kenny Porter|
|Education:||Stow-Munroe Falls High School|
|Height / How tall :||5.7 inch|
|Best Match for Marriage:||Gemini|
|View more / View fewer Facts of Shawn Porter|
Shawn Porter is an American professional Boxer. He is a two-time welterweight world champion, having held the WBC title since 2018, and previously the IBF title from 2013 to 2014. In 2018, Porter is ranked as the world’s fourth best active welterweight by The Ring magazine. In this section, we will talk about Shawn Porter’s wiki-bio including her net worth, career, and much more. So, scroll down for more information.
What is Shawn Porter Famous For?
- An American Professional Boxer.
- His aggressive pressure fighting style, physical strength, and high work rate.
- A 2-time welterweight world champion having held the WBC title since 2018.
Shawn Porter escapes with a split decision over Younis Ugas to retain welterweight title
Shawn Porter battled for twelve rounds but got the nod in the end with a split-decision victory over Younis Ugas of Cuba to retain his WBC world welterweight title Saturday night at Dignity Health Sports Park in Carson, USA.
The American, 31, never seemed to figure how to land his best punches at Ugas the entire evening. Instead of going for his usual offensive tactic, Porter resorted to boxing and moving as he also seemingly hesitated to throw his power shots at the game Cuban.
They went toe-to-toe in some instances, but most of Porter’s punches either missed or landed on the elbow. After twelve rounds of action, the judges scored the fight 116-112, 115-113 and 111-117.
The questionable victory improved Porter’s record to 30-2-1 with 17 KOs while Ugas dropped to 23-4 with 11 KOs.
Where is boxer Shawn Porter from?
Shawn Porter was born in Akron, Ohio, the U.S. as Shawn Christian Porter. He is American by nationality and belongs to Afro-American ethnicity.
His father Kenny Porter is his trainer and coach. He has a brother called Kenneth Porter. The names of his mother are not disclosed so far, in case they are disclosed, we will let you know.
Regarding his educational status, he has kept secret about his academic qualification and hasn’t shared any info in the public. But according to Wikipedia, he was graduated from Stow-Munroe Falls High School.
Shawn Porter’s Boxing Career Highlights
- As an amateur, Porter competed mostly as a middleweight and compiled an astounding amateur record of 276–14.
- In 2007, he won the World Golden Gloves Championship but at the PanAm Games, Porter was knocked out in the second round by Cuban Emilio Correa. Though he boasts amateur victories over current pro prospects Daniel Jacobs, Demetrius Andrade, Edwin Rodriguez, Shawn Estrada, and Jonathan Nelson, he came up just short in qualifying for the 2008 U.S. Olympics team.
- Porter began his pro career at 165½lbs on October 3, 2008, at the Wicomico Civic Center in Salisbury, Maryland, the USA with Norman Johnson. He won the fight via first-round TKO.
- In his 5th professional fight, Porter faced off against 31-year-old Cory Jones (4-3, 1 KO) on February 6, 2009. He won the fight after 4 rounds via unanimous decision (40-33, 40-33, 39–35).
- On April 16, 2010, he knocked out veteran Raul Pinzon (17-4, 16 KOs) in just one round. But in July, He beat 24-year-old Ray Robinson (11-1, 4 KOs) via unanimous decision (99-89, 97-92, 98-91) at DeSoto Civic Center in Southaven, Mississippi.
- On February 18, 2011, Porter successfully defended his title against Anges Adjaho (25-4, 14 KOs) via 10 round unanimous decision (99-91, 99-91, 97-93). At 144 lbs, He was fighting at the lightest weight of his professional career to date.
- In April 2012, after over a year out, Porter stopped veteran journeyman Patrick Thompson in round 6. He claimed the vacant WBO NABO welterweight title by defeating Alfonso Gómez (23-5-2, 12 KOs) on July 28 at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, California. On December 15, he fought on the undercard of Khan-Molina at the Sports Arena in Los Angeles against veteran Mexican former world champion Julio Díaz (40–7, 29 KOs). The fight ended in a split decision draw after 10 rounds 96–94, 95–95, 94–96.
- On May 18, 2013, Porter fought undefeated Canadian Phil Lo Greco (25–0, 14 KOs) at the Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City. He won the fight after 10 rounds winning a unanimous decision 99–89, 100–88, 100–88.
- In October 2013, it was announced that Porter would challenge IBF Welterweight Champion Devon Alexander (25–1, 14 KOs) on November 30 at the Freeman Coliseum in San Antonio. The fight took place on December 7 at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn. He controlled most of the fight, beating Alexander via a unanimous decision to win the welterweight world title. The judges scored the bout 116-112, 116-112 and 115-113. ESPN.com also had Porter winning 117-111. In the fight, He suffered a damaged right eye due to an accidental clash of heads.
- Porter was ordered by the IBF to make his next mandatory defense against Kell Brook (32–0, 22 KOs). The fight took place on August 16, 2014, at the StubHub Center in Carson, California. Brook defeated Porter for the title via 12 round majority decision.
- On May 16, 2015, TGB Promotions and Mayweather Promotions announced that Porter would fight fellow Ohio boxer Adrien Broner (30–1, 22 KOs) on June 20 at the MGM Grand Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas on Premier Boxing Champions on NBC at a catchweight of 144lbs as per Broner’s demand. Going into the fight, Broner was 4–0 at the arena. There was controversy around the catchweight. Leading up the fight the Welterweight champ Porter also criticized, that Broner had a 157lbs limit clause in the contract, which stopped Porter from rehydrating to his normal weight on fight day.
- It was announced on February 17, that WBA welterweight champion Keith Thurman (26–0 (1), 22 KOs) would put his title on the line against Porter on March 12, 2016, at the Mohegan Sun Casino in Uncasville, Connecticut. On February 23, Thurman’s promoter said he had been forced to postpone his upcoming fight with Porter after being injured in a car accident. Later, The World Boxing Association has ordered the winner of the Thurman and Porter to face interim WBA Welterweight champion David Avanesyan (22-1-1, 11 KOs), who beat #3 WBA Shane Mosley (49-10-1, 41 KOs) on May 28. In an old-fashioned fight of the year candidate, Porter was unsuccessful in winning the title as Thurman won by unanimous decision, before a crowd of 12,718, when all three judges scored an identical 115-113 in favor of Thurman.
- On November 13, 2018, it was announced that Porter would make his first defense of his WBC title on March 9, 2019, against 32-year-old Cuban contender and Mandatory challenger Yordenis Ugás (23-3, 11 KOs). On March 9, 2019, Porter fought for WBC world welterweight title against Yordenis Ugás. The fight took place at the Dignity Health Sports Park, Carson, California, the U.S. The fight was a victory by Porter with split-decision. He is recorded to 30-2-1 with 17 KOs in WBC world welterweight title.
Is Shawn Porter a married man?
Reflecting his personal life, he was a married man. He was married to a beautiful woman named Julia porter in 2014.
At present, they live blissful life and no rumors to divorced. There is no record on social, how they met and how it began. So, stay tuned with us for more updates.
How much is Shawn Porter worth?
With his skills and dedication towards work, Shawn established himself as one of the powerful people in the boxing field. He receives a reasonable sum of salary from her profession. According to some online sources, her estimated net worth said to be $ 3 Million at present.
How tall is Shawn Porter?
Observing his body, he has an athletic body with a height of 5 feet 7 inches. Similarly, he has a balanced weight of 66.82 Kg. Furthermore, his eyes and hair color is black. His other body information was not disclosed yet.