Facts of Shirley Douglas
|Full Name:||Shirley Douglas|
|Age:||88 years 4 months|
|Birth Date:||April 02, 1934|
|Best Match for Marriage:||Leo|
|View more / View fewer Facts of Shirley Douglas|
Shirley Douglas is a Canadian actress and activist who is the daughter of politician Tommy Douglas, the first leader of the federal New Democratic Party. Her acting career and the fact that she hails from a political family have earned her popularity in the Canadian entertainment industry as well as national politics.
She began her career in 1950 at Regina Little Theater. Following her graduation from the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art (London), she stayed in England for many years, performing in theater and television, before returning to Canada in 1957. In a career spanning over six decades, she has appeared in numerous films, TV shows, and stage productions. To know more about her, you can read the below article.
What is Shirley Douglas famous for?
- A Canadian television, film and stage actress and activist.
Where was Shirley Douglas from?
Going back to her early life, Shirley Douglas was born Shirley Jean Douglas in Weyburn, Saskatchewan, Canada to her parents Tommy Douglas and Irma May Douglas in the year 1934. Her father, the late Tommy Douglas was a Canadian statesman, Premier of Saskatchewan, and leader of the New Democratic Party. Also, She has a sister named Joan Douglas.
Similarly, She is White as per ethnicity and is a Canadian by nationality. For Education, She went to Central Collegiate Institute for her high school education and graduated from the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art.
When did Shirley Douglas pursue her acting career?
- Douglas’s film career started back in 1955 when she acted in the film Joe Macbeth. After this, her next film role came in 1962’s Lolita. She then took a short hiatus from film making her comeback in 1983 after more than 20 years.
- Her other film credits are The Shower, Mesmer, Barney’s Great Adventure, and The Law of Enclosures among others. Likewise, her television career started in 1955 from the series Rheingold Theater. Then in 1978, she did a title role on Nellie McClung.
- Then she got the main role as May Bailey in the show Wind at My Back in 1996. The role would go on to become one of her better-known roles. She has done other famous TV shows like Flash Gordon, Robson Arms, and Degrassi: The Next Generation.
- In addition to this, she also did a lot of work for various causes like the Civil Rights movement. She also worked actively against protesting the Vietnam War.
- In addition to this, she also helped in establishing Friends of the Black Panthers, a fundraising group in support of the Civil Rights movement. However, she retired in 2013 after working around 63 years in show business.
Is Shirley Douglas still alive?
No, Douglas died on April 5th, 2020, after suffering complications from pneumonia. By the year 2009, she had been in a wheelchair due to degenerative spine condition that caused her severe pain.
Her death was announced by her son Kiefer. “My mother was an extraordinary woman who led an extraordinary life. Sadly she had been battling for her health for quite some time and we, as a family, knew this day was coming. To any families who have lost loved ones unexpectedly to the coronavirus, my heart breaks for you. Please stay safe.”
Who was Shirley Douglas married to?
Douglas was married in the past to Donald Sutherland. They got married in 1966 and divorced in 1970. From her marriage with Sutherland, she has a son named Kiefer Sutherland and a daughter named Rachel Sutherland.
Previously, She was also married to Timothy Emil Sicks in 1957 but the exact date of their divorce is not available. She has a son Thomas Emil Sicks from her marriage to Timothy.
How much is Shirley Douglas worth?
Shirley Douglas has a net worth of around $2.5 million until her death. She made her fortune from her over 60 years as a professional actress and politician. Despite being an iconic celebrity the exact figures of her salary are not available. However, some sources claim that she earned $500,000 throughout her career.
How tall was Shirley Douglas?
Before her death, Douglas has a height of 5 feet 2 inches and her body-weighs is currently unknown. Her eyes are hazel and she has a blonde hair color. Further, her other body information is still unknown. Whenever we will update, we will let you know.