Tony Leung Chiu-wai is a Hong Kong actor and singer. He is considered one of Asia's most successful and internationally recognised actors and was named as "Small Tiger" among Five Tiger Generals of TVB.
Facts of Tony Leung
|Full Name:||Tony Leung|
|Age:||60 years 11 months|
|Birth Date:||June 27, 1962|
|Birth Place:||Hong Kong|
|Married Date:||July 21,2008|
|Relationship affair ?:||No|
|Is gay ?:||No|
|Height / How tall :||5.7 inch|
|Best Match for Marriage:||Taurus, Pisces, Scorpio|
|View more / View fewer Facts of Tony Leung|
Tony Leung Chiu-Wai, popularly known as Tony Leung Hong Kong actor. He is considered one of Asia’s most successful and internationally recognized actors and was named as “Small Tiger” among Five Tiger Generals of TVB. He has won many international acting prizes, including the Cannes Film Festival award for Best Actor for his performance in Wong Kar-wai’s film In the Mood for Love. Leung has been called “Asia’s answer to Clark Gable”, and is widely considered the best native Hong Kong actor of his generation. He was named by CNN as one of “Asia’s 25 Greatest Actors of All Time”.
Marvel’s Shang-Chi Casts Simu Liu, Awkwafina, And Tony Leung
We’ve known for a while that Marvel is working on a film adaptation of the Shang-Chi character. The company used its Comic-Con presentation this weekend to add more details about the film, now called Shang-Chi And The Legend Of The Ten Rings, with casting including Awkwafina, Tony Leung, and Chinese Canadian actor and stunt performer Simu Liu in the lead.
Shang-Chi first arrived on the Marvel scene in 1973 in the wake of entering The Dragon’s success. Created by Steve Englehart and Jim Starlin, he is the son of Fu Manchu, who raised and educated his son in his reclusive compound, closed off to the outside world. The lad trained in the martial arts and developed unsurpassed skills. He is eventually introduced to the outside world to do his father’s bidding and then has to come to grips with the fact his revered father might not be the humanitarian he has claimed to be and is closer to what others call him: The Devil’s Doctor.
As you might expect given that it’s no longer the 1970s, elements of the character will be updated to avoid stereotypes. Leung will be playing the Mandarin, while Awkwafina’s role is unknown. Between this and the Little Mermaid news, it’s a big Disney time for her. As for Liu, he was apparently testing for the role last weekend and hired on Tuesday, so it’s been quite the ride for him. Though it sounds like he knew something even when the movie was first announced…
The film lands on screens in February 2021.
What is Tony Leung known for?
Leung is known for his collaborations with director Wong Kar-wai, with whom he has worked in seven films including Chungking Express (1994), Happy Together (1997), In the Mood for Love (2000), and The Grandmaster (2013). He also appeared in three Venice Film Festival Golden Lion-winning films, including A City of Sadness (1989), Cyclo (1995), and Lust, Caution (2007), directed by Ang Lee. Leung also stars in the Academy Award-nominated film Hero, and the box office hits Hard Boiled (1992) and Infernal Affairs (2002).
In the Mood for Love, Leung earned the Best Actor award at the Cannes Film Festival. He is also a seven-time winner at the Hong Kong Film Awards and a three-time winner at the Golden Horse Film Awards, holding the record for most awards in the Best Actor category. The 2002 book East Asian Film Stars describes Leung as “undoubtedly one of the most successful and widely-acclaimed Hong Kong actors of his generation, with a broad and diverse filmography.”
How did Tony Leung spend his childhood?
Recalling his early life, Leung was born in Hong Kong. His childhood was punctuated with his parents’ quarrels and arguments about money. A mischievous boy in his early years, Leung’s personality changed when his father, a chronic gambler, left the family when he was eight; he and his younger sister were brought up by their mother.
Leung was a reticent, quiet child. He has said that his childhood experiences paved the way for his acting career, which allows him to openly express his feelings:
Regarding his education, Leung went to private school, but he quit at the age of 15 due to financial difficulties. He was a well-behaved teenager who was very close to his mother. During an interview on the making of Hero, he says that he sees his mother as his definition of a “hero[ine]” for having brought up two children alone.
When did Tony Leung pursue his acting career?
- After quitting his studies, Leung worked in a variety of jobs, first as a grocer’s runner at his uncle’s shop, then a showroom salesman in a Hong Kong shopping center. Around the age of 16, he met future actor and comedian Stephen Chow who influenced his decision to become an actor and remains a good friend.
- Many consider Leung’s role in director John Woo’s 1992 action film Hard Boiled in which he co-starred with Chow Yun-fat, as his breakthrough role. However, Leung first received international attention in Hou Hsiao-hsien’s 1989 film A City of Sadness, which won the Venice Golden Lion.
- During the late 1990s, it was difficult for him to break into Hollywood because he would not take on any roles that degrade his character and image in Hong Kong. To date, he has not done a Hollywood film but is primed to appear in one after signing on with an American film agent.
- He played an outgoing young man who decides to become a police officer; Maggie Cheung, who also started her career at the same time, played a shy bookworm, Leung’s upstairs neighbor and love interest. Since then they have worked together on The Yang’s Saga (1985), Days of Being Wild (1991), The Eagle Shooting Heroes (1993), Ashes of Time (1994), In the Mood for Love (2000), Hero (2002), and 2046 (2005).
- In 2014 he was selected as a member of the jury for the 64th Berlin International Film Festival.
- On July 20, 2019, it is announced that Leung will join the Marvel Cinematic Universe and play The Mandarin in Shang-Chi: and the Legend of the Ten Rings, making it his Hollywood debut.
Is Tony Leung married or not?
Speaking about his personal life, Tony was a married man. He was married to Carina Lau after dated 19 years. On 21 July 2008, the couple got married in Bhutan in royal fashion. The wedding created a media frenzy in Hong Kong, with companies spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to pursue the wedding party.
Talking about his past affairs, his name was linked with Wei Tang before his marriage. They dated several years and later broke up. The reason behind their separation is still unknown.
How much is Tony Leung’s net worth?
As per various sources, Tony assumed the sum of a good amount of money from his career. His estimated net worth said to be $20 million at present. However, his salary is yet to be disclosed.
How tall is Tony Leung?
Observing his body statistics, Tony stands a height of 5 feet 7 inches and weighs around 66 Kg. He has black hair with black eyes. He used 12 (US) size of shoes. His other body information is yet to be disclosed. In the case of disclosure, we will let you know.