Former Nurse and Fan Club President
Facts of Yolanda Saldivar
|Full Name:||Yolanda Saldivar|
|Age:||27 years 6 months|
|Birth Date:||March 31, 1995|
|Profession:||Former Nurse and Fan Club President|
|Best Match for Marriage:||Leo|
|View more / View fewer Facts of Yolanda Saldivar|
A former nurse and fan club president who was convicted of the murder of Tejano singer Selena Quintanilla-Perez on 31st March 1995 in Corpus Christi, Texas is named for Yolanda Saldivar. A registered nurse, she started a fan club for the singer and eventually established a deep bond with her and the ‘Quintanilla’ family. She even won her trust, and the singer appointed her as the manager of her boutiques. Selena ultimately learned of Yolanda’s ill motives and confronted her. Yolanda, agitated with the constant arguments, shot Selena dead. She will become eligible for parole on 30th March 2025.
- Being a former nurse and fan club president.
- Being convicted of the murder of Selena Quintanilla-Perez.
Where is Yolanda Saldivar Now?
On March 31, 1995, Selena Quintanilla was shot to death in Corpus Christi by the founder of her fan club, Yolanda Saldivar. Selena was only 23 years old. Prosecutors say, Selena, affectionately known as the undisputed Queen of Tejano by her fan base, had confronted Saldivar about embezzlement allegations. Saldivar has said the shooting was an accident. Saldivar, whose trial was moved to Houston due to extensive publicity about the case, was convicted of murder and sentenced to life in prison. Saldivar will be eligible for parole in 2025, 30 years after Selena’s death.
What is the birthplace of Yolanda Saldivar?
On 19th September 1960, Yolanda Saldivar was born in San Antonio, Texas, the USA. Her nationality is American and her ethnicity is White. She is Christian by religion. In March 1991, she received her license as a registered nurse from the Texas Board of Nurse Examiners. Her other early life information such as parents, siblings and more will be added soon.
Selena Fan Club
- She started repeatedly calling Selena’s father, Abraham Quintanilla after attending one of Selena’s concerts.
- The reason for her calling to Selena’s father was to start a fan club in San Antonio.
- Abraham gave in to Yolanda’s request and she became the club’s president.
- She was also promoted as manager of Selena’s clothing boutiques, Selena Etc.
- By 1993 the fan club had reached 1,500 members in less than four years and eventually grew to over 5,000 which became one of the largest fan clubs in the San Antonio area.
Murder of Selena
- Selena’s family discovered that Yolanda was embezzling money from both the fan club and boutiques, which led to her firing in the first week of March 1995.
- Selena agreed to meet Yolanda at a Days Inn motel in Corpus Christi to retrieve financial records Yolanda had been refusing to turn over.
- Yolanda delayed the handover again by claiming she had been raped in Mexico.
- After that, she drove her to a local hospital, where doctors found no evidence of rape.
- They returned to the motel, where Selena once more demanded the records.
- Yolanda then took a .38 Taurus Model 85 revolver from her purse and pointed it at Selena.
- Selena tried to flee, but Yolanda shot her once in the back, severing an artery.
- Selena then ran towards the lobby for help with Saldívar in pursuit calling her a “bitch” after being wounded.
- She collapsed on the floor as the clerk called 911, and died in a hospital from blood loss at 1:05 pm.
Trial and Imprisonment
- Yolanda’s trial for the murder of Selena was followed closely by the Latino community in the United States but the trial was not televised, but cameras were permitted on the courthouse premises.
- Later, the venue was moved to Houston, Texas, after Saldívar’s lawyers successfully argued that she could not receive a fair trial in Selena’s home town.
- Before the start of the trial, CNN reported that prosecutors were expected to introduce a controversial police confession signed by Yolanda in which she said she shot Selena “during an argument over accusations from the singer’s father that Yolanda stole money from Selena’s accounts”.
- The defense was expected to introduce testimony from Texas Ranger Robert Garza that “he overheard Yolanda claim the shooting was accidental, and that she objected when police failed to include it in her statement”.
- Yolanda claimed that the gun “[accidentally] went off”.
- The judge did not give the jury the option of lesser charges of manslaughter or negligent homicide, and told the jurors they must convict or acquit Yolanda on the sole charge of first-degree murder.
- Jurors deliberated for less than three hours on 23rd October 1995, before finding Yolanda guilty of first-degree murder.
- She was sentenced to life in prison with the possibility of parole in thirty years; this was the maximum prison term allowed in Texas at the time on 26th October.
- On 22nd November 1995, she arrived at the Gatesville Unit (now the Christina Melton Crain Unit) in Gatesville, Texas, to be processed.
- Yolanda is serving a life sentence at the Mountain View Unit in Gatesville, operated by the Texas Department of Criminal Justice. She will become eligible for parole on 30th March 2025.
After the Conviction
- The revolver used to kill Selena disappeared after the trial and was later found in the home of a court reporter.
- It was dismantled and the pieces were thrown into Corpus Christi Bay in 2002.
- Yolanda has asked the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals to accept a petition that challenges her conviction.
- She claims the petition was filed in 2000 with the 214th District Court but was never sent to the higher court.
- Her request was received on 31st March 2008, the thirteenth anniversary of Selena’s death.
What is the Net Worth of Yolanda Saldivar?
The net worth of Yolanda Saldivar will be surely in millions as she is a former nurse as well as the president of the Selena fan club. Her net worth as of 2020 is estimated to have $1 Million-$5 Million. Whereas her exact salary is under review and it will be added soon.
Is Yolanda Saldivar Married?
Yolanda Saldivar’s marital status is unknown yet. There is no exact information regarding her marriage. She might be married or unmarried. Despite her marital fact, she is living a happy life without any disturbances. Her sexual orientation is straight.
How tall is Yolanda Saldivar?
Yolanda Saldivar is a very beautiful woman with a white skin tone. She has got a tall height of 4 ft 8 in with a bodyweight of 175 lbs. Her hair color and eye color, both are brown. Overall, she has got a healthy body. Her other body measurements have not been revealed and it will be added soon.