Mary Martha Corinne Morrison Claiborne "Cokie" Roberts was an American journalist and bestselling author. Her career included decades as a political reporter and analyst for National Public Radio and ABC News, with prominent positions on Morning Edition, The MacNeil/Lehrer NewsHour, World News Tonight, and This Week.
Facts of Cokie Roberts
|December 27, 1943
|September 17, 2019
|New Orleans, Louisiana, United States
|When did Cokie Roberts get married ? (married date):
|Steven V. Roberts
|Relationship affair ?:
|Is lesbian ?:
|Thomas Hale Boggs Sr. Both
|Best Match for Marriage:
|Scorpio, Virgo, Taurus
|View more / View fewer Facts of Cokie Roberts
A lot of women have come to understand that you can't just show up and say I'm unhappy, you have to then go out and do something.
Women rely on friends. ... That's where we draw sustenance and find safety. We can count on our women friends when we need a good laugh or a good cry.
The truth is, the notion that gay marriage is harmful to marriage, is sort of mind-boggling, because these are people trying to get married. But it seems to me, if you want to defend marriage against something, defend it against divorce.
Cokie Roberts was an American journalist and bestselling author who rose up to fame because of her career as a political reporter and analyst for National Public Radio and ABC News. Roberts was appointed to the Council on Service and Civic Participation by President George W. Bush. Roberts who served on the boards of several non-profit organizations such as the “Kaiser Family Foundation” died on September 17, 2019, at the age of 75 in Washington D.C.
What was Cokie Roberts Famous for?
- Roberts was famous as the popular journalist of NPR and ABC News and best-selling author.
When and Where was Cokie Roberts Born?
Cokie Roberts was born on December 27, 1943, in New Orleans, Louisiana, United States. Her birth name was Mary Martha Corinne Morrison Claiborne Boggs. Her nationality was American. Roberts belonged to White ethnicity while Sagittarius was her zodiac sign.
Roberts was born to mother, Lindy Boggs(Marie Corinne Morrison Claiborne Boggs) and father, Thomas Hale Boggs Sr. Both of her parents served for decades as Democratic members of the House of Representatives.
Her mother, Lindy succeeded Hale after Hale’s plane disappeared over Alaska in 1972. Her father died in a mysterious plane crash in Alaska while he was on a Campaign Trip in 1972.
Roberts was the third child of the family as she was raised along with her two elder siblings, a sister, Barbara Boggs Sigmund and a brother, Tommy Boggs. Her sister would become mayor of Princeton, New Jersey while her brother would become a prominent attorney and lobbyist of Washington, D.C.
Roberts attended the Academy of the Sacred Heart in New Orleans and then she joined the Stone Ridge School in 1960. Later, she graduated from Wellesley College with a BA in Political Science in 1964.
How was Cokie Roberts’s Professional Career?
- Roberts started her professional career after she got her first job at WRC-TV as a journalist to host the program, “Meeting of the Minds”.
- In 1967, Roberts worked as a reporter for Cowles Communications and briefly as a producer for WNEW-TV.
- Roberts then worked for Altman Productions, KNBC-TV, and CBS News.
- Roberts began working as the congressional correspondent for NPR in 1978 for more than ten years.
- Roberts also won the “Edward Weintal Prize for Diplomatic Reporting” for her coverage of the Iran-Contra Affair in 1988.
- She also worked for the programs, “The MacNeil/Lehrer News Hour” and “The Lawmakers”.
- Roberts worked as a political correspondent for ABC News’s “World News Tonight” in 1988.
- Roberts also served as a senior news analyst and commentator for NPR on the program, “Morning Edition”.
- She was also the co-anchor of ABC News’s program, “This Week with Sam Donaldson & Cokie Roberts”.
- Roberts was the president of the Radio and Television Correspondents’ Association.
- Roberts’s last work with NPR was a series on “Morning Edition” titled “ASk Cokie”.
- She also accused Donald Trump, the President of U.S., of destroying his government’s ability to make policy.
Awards and Achievements
Roberts won several awards and honors for her outstanding works in journalism. Roberts was also cited as one of the fifty greatest women in the history of broadcasting ever by the American Women. She was also inducted into the “Broadcasting & Cable” Hall of Fame in 2000.
Roberts had won the “Edward R. Murrow Award”, “Everett McKinley Dirksen Award”, “Emmy Award” and “Walter Cronkite Award”. Roberts also had won the “Foremother Award” alongside her mother, Lindy Boggs in 2013.
Was Cokie Roberts Married? How Many Children Does She Have?
Cokie Roberts was a married woman. Roberts was married to Steven V. Roberts. Steven is a professor and a fellow journalist. The couple first met in 1962 when they both were teenagers. Later, in 1966 the couple tied a knot together.
Cokie and Steven had two children together, a son, Lee Roberts an a daughter, Rebecca Roberts who is also a journalist. Cokie was living a happy life with her husband and children in Bethesda, Maryland.
Cause of Death of Cokie Roberts?
Cokie Roberts died on Tuesday, September 17, 2019, at Washington, D.C. due to the complications of her disease. Roberts was a victim of cancer as she was diagnosed with breast cancer back in 2002. However,
back then she was successfully treated and was said to be completely fine. However, it was reported that Roberts recently had acknowledged some health problems that caused her weight loss.
During her fight against illness, Roberts had become an advocate for regular mammograms for women.
What was Cokie Roberts’s Net Worth?
The late journalist Cokie Roberts had a great career life as she spent almost half of her life in the political field serving as author and journalist starting with National Public Radio(NPR).
Considering all the hard works and time that Cokie Roberts had put on her career field, she had managed to amass a great fortune of the amount in million dollars. Roberts had an estimated net worth of $5 million.
How tall was Cokie Roberts?
The beautiful lady of 75, Late Cokie Roberts had a maintained slim body physique. Roberts was a beautiful looking woman who had brought a great change in society. She had a fair complexion with light brown hair and blue eyes.