Santos Saúl Álvarez Barragán, better known as "Canelo" Álvarez, is a Mexican professional boxer who has won multiple world championships in four weight classes, including light middleweight, middleweight, super middleweight, and light heavyweight.
Facts of Canelo Alvarez
|Full Name:||Canelo Alvarez|
|Age:||32 years 8 months|
|Birth Date:||July 18, 1990|
|Birth Place:||Guadalajara, Mexico|
|Net Worth:||$140 million|
|Marital Status:||In Relation|
|Children:||Emily Cinnamon Alvarez, Saúl Adiel Álvarez, Mía Ener Álvarez, María Fernanda Álvarez|
|Relationship affair ?:||No|
|Is gay ?:||No|
|Father's Name:||Santos Alvarez|
|Mother's Name:||Ana Maria|
|Height / How tall :||5 feet and 9 inches|
|Hair Color:||Dark brown|
|Eye Color:||Dark brown|
|Best Match for Marriage:||Taurus, Pisces, Scorpio|
|View more / View fewer Facts of Canelo Alvarez|
The more desperate you are, the more mistakes you make.
There are great legends and great fighters in the history of Mexico, and there will be more to come.
I already have a lot of experience, but the best is yet to come.
Santos Saul Alvarez Barragan famed as Canelo Alvarez is a Mexican professional boxer. He gained fame and his name made rounds worldwide due to his outstanding multiple winning streaks and achievements on numerous world championships. He is a three-weight world champion who has held the unified WBA (Super), WBC, The Ring magazine, and lineal middleweight titles since 2018, the IBF middleweight title from May to August 2019, and the WBA (Regular) super middleweight title since December 2018. Moreover, he held the WBA (Unified), WBC and Ring light middleweight titles between 2011 and 2013; the WBC, The Ring, and lineal middleweight titles between 2015 and 2018, and the WBO light-middleweight title from 2016 to 2017 previously. He also peaked at the top as the world’s best active middleweight by BoxRec and was also recognized by the Transitional Boxing Ranking Boards (TBRB). Recently, he defeated Sergey Kovalev. Overall, he is a very talented boxer.
Canelo vs. Kovalev fight: Alvarez stuns with vicious TKO in 11th round
A close fight for 10 rounds ended with Canelo getting the job done once again in Las Vegas. Canelo Alvarez’s pursuit of history led him, two divisions, north on Saturday where the sport’s biggest global star delivered a spectacular knockout in his light heavyweight debut. Alvarez (53-1-2, 36 KOs) overcame a strong technical performance from WBO champion Sergey Kovalev (34-4-1, 29 KOs) to score a highlight-reel finish in Round 11 with a vicious two-punch combo that left the Russian slugger crumpled into the ropes. The 29-year-old Alvarez also became the fourth Mexican boxer to win titles in four weight classes. “I’m very thankful,” Alvarez said. “This is just a step in my career and my history, and all I ask of you is to be patient because Canelo will make history. That is guaranteed.” The finish came with the fight seemingly up for grabs in Round 11 as a hard combination backed Kovalev up to the ropes and Alvarez finished off his 36-year-old opponent with a left hook and right cross that dropped him along the ropes. Referee Russell Mora instantly waved off the fight at 2:15. With the win, Alvarez has made a case to be considered for the top spot on most pound-for-pound lists. This caps a 12-month stretch in which he has captured a secondary super middleweight title, unified belts at 160 pounds and won a light heavyweight title.
What time does Canelo vs. Kovalev start?
The Canelo-Kovalev undercard will begin at 6:30 p.m. ET from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. The main card will follow at 9 p.m. ET. The Canelo-Kovalev fight is expected to start at about 12:15 a.m.
- For winning multiple world championships and holding numerous titles including the unified WBA (Super), WBC, Ring Magazine, Lineal Middleweight, and IBF Middleweight Titles.
Who are the Parents and Siblings of Canelo Alvarez?
On 18th July 1990, Canelo Alvarez was born as Santos Saul Alvarez Barragan. “Canelo” in Spanish is the masculine word for cinnamon, which is a common nickname for people with red hair. He experienced his childhood in Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico. By nationality, he is Mexican and his ethnic group is White. As of 2019, he celebrated his 29th birthday with his friends and families. His family is originally from Los Reyes, Michoacan. His family moved to their current home of Juanacatlan, Jalisco when he was only five. Later, he learned horseback riding on his family’s farm. He is the youngest of eight children, seven of them boys; all of his brothers also became professional boxers. Among his brothers are welterweight boxers Ramon Alvarez, Ricardo Alvarez, and former Interim WBA World Champion, Rigoberto Alvarez. His sister name is Ana Elda Alvarez. His mother, Ana Maria, also has red hair whereas his father name is Santos Alvarez. He is Cancer by horoscope and Christian by religion. There is no information regarding his education.
How tall is Canelo Alvarez?
With an athletic and strong body build, Canelo Alvarez stands at the tall height of five feet nine inch or 1.75 m. Canelo is a very handsome person with short hair and brown eye color. The Reddish-brown hair, Canelo has a balanced bodyweight of 75 Kg. With his charming and glowing smile, he attracts a lot of people’s attention towards him. His chest size is 41 in, waist size is 33 in and his biceps size is 15 inches. His skin tone is White. He maintains his body a lot by doing frequent exercises. Overall, he has got a healthy body with an attractive personality and cool attitude.
How was the Career (beginning-present) of Canelo Alvarez?
- At the age of thirteen, Canelo began his boxing career after watching his older brother Rigoberto Alvarez’s debut as a professional boxer.
- He won the silver medal at the Junior Mexican National Championships, held in Sinaloa in the year 2004.
- Moreover, he also became the 2005 Junior Mexican National Boxing Champion in Tuxtla Gutierrez, Chiapas, at the age of fifteen.
- He turned professional at the age of fifteen after his championship at the Junior Nationals.
- He knocked out 11 of his 13 documented opponents in his first nineteen months as a professional.
- His third official bout of his career was a win over future IBF lightweight Champion, Miguel Vazquez on 20th January 2006.
- He defeated Miguel Vazquez again in a rematch on 28th June 2008.
- He got a crushing third-round knockout over Brian Camechi on 6th March 2010 and later on 1st May 2010, he defeated Jose Miguel Cotto on the Floyd Mayweather vs. Shane Mosley undercard in the MGM Grand Garden Arena on HBO PPV to retain his NABF Welterweight title.
- He win over Luciano Leonel Cuello for the WBC silver light middleweight in his sixth-round TKO.
- He then fought next against the former WBC welterweight champion Carlos Baldomir.
- He defeated EBU welterweight Champion Matthew Hatton by unanimous decision, for the vacant WBC light-middleweight belt on 5th March 2011.
- He successfully defended his newly awarded WBC title against the Ring #4 ranked super welterweight and current EBU light middleweight champion, Ryan Rhodes.
- He successfully defended his title with a TKO in Round 6 over The Contender competitor Alfonso Gomez on 17th September 2011.
- He defeated the US boxer Josesito Lopez on 15th September 2012.
- He then defeated Kermit Cintron in the 5th round by TKO. The fight averaged 1.5 million viewers on HBO: Boxing After Dark.
- Richard Schaefer announced that his next bout on 5th May 2012, on the undercard of Miguel Cotto’s clash with Floyd Mayweather Jr. at the MGM Grand Garden Arena.
- He defeated Mosley after 12 rounds via unanimous decision.
- He won the fight via fifth-round technical knockout after dominating Lopez from start to finish to stay undefeated and increase his record of 41-0. The fight averaged 1.04 million on Showtime where Canelo earned $2 million and Lopez a smaller amount of $212,500.
- His next fight took place on 20th April 2013 against Austin Trout.
- He successfully defended his WBC light middleweight title and won the WBA & the vacant The Ring Magazine light middleweight title.
- Trout stated that he hadn’t underestimated Canelo but that he trained to fight a completely different fighter.
- He fought against The Ring magazine’s no. 1 pound for pound fighter, WBA super welterweight champion and WBC/The Ring magazine welterweight champion, Floyd Mayweather Jr. on 14th September 2013 where Mayweather held a world title at welterweight (147 pounds). Mayweather earned a guaranteed $41.5 million to Alvarez’s $5 million.
- Richard Schaefer confirmed a deal for a fight between Canelo Alvarez and Alfredo Angulo on 8th March 2014.
- Later, ESPN reported the fight would take place at a catchweight of 155 pounds.
- He then agreed to weigh no more than 168 pounds on fight night.
- He weighed 174 pounds on Showtime’s scale and Angulo weighed 170 pounds on first night.
- On 12th July 2014, he fought Erislandy Lara where both fighters weighed in at precisely 155 pounds.
- Canelo rehydrated to 171 pounds while Lara came into the ring at 166 pounds.
- Oscar De La Hoya announced that Canelo and James Kirkland (32-1, 28 KOs) had agreed to fight each other in January 2015 where he defeated Kirkland via third-round knockout. The fight drew an average of 2.146 million viewers on HBO and peaked at 2.296 million, the highest viewership for HBO in 2015.
- He won the WBC, Lineal and The Ring middleweight titles with a unanimous decision over Miguel Cotto on 21st November 2015.
- It was announced that British boxer Amir Khan was moving up two weight divisions to middleweight, to fight Canelo Alvarez. The fight took place on 7th May 2016.
- He vacated the WBC title he defended in fighting Amir Khan. The WBC immediately awarded the title to Gennady Golovkin.
- It was announced on 24th June that Canelo Alvarez was to drop the extra pound to 154 and challenge 27 years old, WBO champion Liam Smith (23-0-1, 13 KOs) from England on 17th September 2016 where Alvarez defeated him.
- On 22nd December, the WBO made him the mandatory challenger to the world middleweight title, skipping the previous number 1, Avtandil Khurtsidze.
- He announced that he planned on vacating his WBO light-middleweight title following the Chavez Jr. fight and fighting at middleweight on 22nd February where Alvarez won the fight by a shutout unanimous decision in dominating fashion. All three judges scored it 120-108 for him.
- He announced that he would next fight Gennady Golovkin on the weekend of 16 September 2017. They fought to a split draw (118-110 Alvarez, 115-113 Golovkin, and 114-114).
- He stated he would next fight in May 2018, whereas Golovkin was open to fighting in December 2017.
- On 29th January 2018, HBO finally announced the rematch would take place on May 5 on the Cinco de Mayo weekend.
- Later, he was given a six-month suspension, backdated to his first drug test fail on 17 February.
- After that, between the fight of Alvarez and Golovkin, the fight was again not without controversy as Alvarez defeated Golovkin via majority decision after 12 rounds.
- Compubox Stats showed that Golovkin landed 234 of 879 punches thrown (27%) and Álvarez landed 202 of his 622 punches (33%). In eight of the rounds, Golovkin out-landed Alvarez.
- He announced that he would fight 31-year-old British boxer Rocky Fielding (27-1, 15 KOs) on 15th December 2018 for the WBA ‘Regular’ super-middleweight title.
- DAZN announced that it had signed a five-year, $365 million deal with Alvarez on 17th October 2018.
- He won by TKO after repeatedly downing Fielding with body shots.
- He defeated Daniel Jacobs via unanimous decision 115-113, 115-113, and 116-112 on 4th May 2019 in a middleweight unification bout at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.
- He defended his WBA (Super), WBC, The Ring, and lineal middleweight titles whilst obtaining Jacobs’ IBF middleweight title.
- He announced via social media on 13th September 2019 that he will move up two weight classes to challenge WBO light heavyweight titleholder Sergey Kovalev on 2nd November 2019.
- This fight will be Canelo’s attempt to win a title belt in a fourth division since he has held world titles in the light middleweight, middleweight, and super middleweight divisions.
Who is Canelo Alvarez engaged to?
It is always interesting to discuss the relationship details of boxers. Here, we have disclosed the information regarding Canelo’s personal life as much as we know. Getting towards his marital status, he is not married yet and he is still to get married. But he was engaged to Marisol Gonzalez, who is Miss Mexico Universe 2003 and a sports reporter for Televisa Deportes. Moreover, he also has two daughters and one son, all from different relationships. His daughter name Emily Cinnamon Alvarez. As of today, Canelo Alvarez is living a happy life with her fiance, Marison Gonzalez. They are spending their quality of life happily without any disturbances. The duo is also planning to get married soon. His sexual orientation is straight and he is not gay.
What is the Present Net Worth and Salary of Canelo Alvarez?
Canelo Alvarez, the famous boxer’s net worth will be surely in millions. He has achieved great heights in his career life. At the age of twenty-nine, he is independent, famous, financially secured as well as has got a loving fiance with kids. According to sources, he has an estimated net worth of $ 21.5 million dollars. He made all that wealth on his own with his dedication and his hard work. He earned it all by himself and he deserves all of it. At present, his salary is estimated to have $20 Million per bout. His major source of earning is from his boxing career and he is satisfied with whatever he is receiving. He also has a car collection of Lamborghini.
- 1 Canelo vs. Kovalev fight: Alvarez stuns with vicious TKO in 11th round
- 2 What time does Canelo vs. Kovalev start?
- 3 Famous For
- 4 Who are the Parents and Siblings of Canelo Alvarez?
- 5 How tall is Canelo Alvarez?
- 6 How was the Career (beginning-present) of Canelo Alvarez?
- 7 Who is Canelo Alvarez engaged to?
- 8 What is the Present Net Worth and Salary of Canelo Alvarez?