Facts of Iggy Pop
|Full Name:||Iggy Pop|
|Age:||75 years 7 months|
|Birth Date:||April 12, 1947|
|Best Match for Marriage:||Leo|
|View more / View fewer Facts of Iggy Pop|
Iggy Pop is an American singer, songwriter, musician, record producer, and actor who is also designated as the “Godfather of Punk” in the music industry with his debut as the vocalist and lyricist in the influential proto-punk band, “The Stooges” since 1967. Pop had his solo career started with his solo debut, “The Idiot”(1977).
He has won altogether 7 awards with over 10 nominations including Classic Rock Roll of Honour Awards(2009) and Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award(2020). Besides, Pop was also inducted as part of the Stooges into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2010. Pop is quite active in social media sites, with his twitter account: @IggyPop and Instagram account: @iggypopofficial.
What is Iggy Pop Famous for?
- Famous as the vocalist in the former proto-punk band, “The Stooges” and solo debut album, “The Idiot”.
- Pop was awarded Classic Rock Roll of Honour Awards as Living Legend in 2009.
Source: @austin chronicle
Early Life of Iggy Pop
Iggy Pop was born on April 21, 1947, in Muskegon, Michigan, United States. His birth name is James Newell Osterberg Jr. His nationality is American. Pop belongs to White ethnicity and is of English-Irish-Danish-Norwegian descent while Taurus is his zodiac sign.
Iggy Pop is the son of Louella Christensen(1917–1996) and James Newell Osterberg Sr.(1921–2007). His father is a former high school English teacher and baseball coach a former high school English teacher and baseball coach at Fordson High School in Dearborn, Michigan. His father was adopted by a Swedish-American nurse surnamed Osterberg. His parents were supportive enough that they encouraged Pop to explore his interests in music.
Pop was raised in a trailer park in Ypsilanti, Michigan where he played with various high school bands including “The Iguanas”, a band and his parents even let him use the master bedroom, as it was the only room in that trailer that was big enough to accommodate his drum kit. He later changed his name to Iggy Pop inspired by the band.
After graduating from high school, he joined the University of Michigan shortly before dropping out to pursue a career in music.
Career Highlights of Iggy Pop
- Pop started his early career after he moved to Chicago to learn more about blues, playing drums in blues clubs. Inspired by Chicago blues as well as bands like The Sonics, MC5, and The Doors, he formed the “Psychedelic Stooges” which included Ron Asheton on guitar, Scott on drums, and Dave Alexander on bass.
- They made their debut with their first show at a Halloween party at a house in Detroit, Michigan.
- In 1967, Iggy became the lead vocalist of their newly formed band, “The Stooges”. He was highly influenced by the stage presence of Jim Morrison that he often would perform bare-chested and throw himself off the stage, which was the beginning of the “Iggy Culture” that would be remembered for decades.
- Following that, “The Stooges” signed with Elektra Records and released their eponymous debut album, “The Stooges” under John Cale’s production in New York in 1969. But the album wasn’t successful and the members of the band drifted apart.
- However, their band got reunited with the help of David Bowie after which they gave their blasting entry with the release of their studio album, “Raw Power” in 1973. The album turned out to be a major hit and a great influence on artists such as Sex Pistols, the Smiths, the Sisters of Mercy, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Nirvana.
- But because of Pop’s persistent problem of drug addiction, he became involved in a brawl with a group of bikers and The Stooges disbanded once again.
- Pop was supported by Bowie throughout his addiction problem that Bowie even took him along as his companion on the “Station to Station tour”(1976). Later, in 1977, Pop signed with RCA Records and made his solo debut with the release of his self-written and recorded the album in collaboration with Bowie titled “The Idiot”. Following that on August 29, 1977, his second solo album titled “Lust for Life” was released.
- He then moved to Arista Records, and eventually released his third studio album, “New Values” in 1979.
- In 1980, Pop published his autobiography titled “I Need More”. His sixth album, “Zombie Birdhouse” was released in 1982. Later, in 1986, his seventh album, “Blah-Blah-Blah” was released featuring the single “Real Wild Child”, which became his first commercially successful work. He further released successful albums including “Instinct” and “Brick by Brick”.
- With the release of his 14th album, “Skull Ring”, the Stooges again got reunited in 2003. They released the album “The Weirdness” in 2007 and “Ready to Die” in 2013.
- Pop has been featured in multiple television series, including “Tales from the Crypt”, “The Adventures of Pete & Pete”, “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine” and also has appeared in a number of movies, including “Sid and Nancy”, “The Color of Money”, “Hardware”, “The Crow: City of Angels”, “The Rugrats Movie”, “Snow Day”, “Coffee and Cigarettes” and many more.
- He also had a starring role as Vicious in the Björn Tagemose-directed silent film, “Gutterdämmerung” in 2015.
- In 2016, Pop was featured as the main subject in the documentary, “Danny Says” and starred in Toby Tobias’ thriller, “Blood Orange”. The same year, his 17th album, “Post-Pop Depression” was released which turned out to be his first-ever US Top 20 album.
- Pop also appeared as a zombie in the 2019 Jim Jarmusch film, “The Dead Don’t Die”. On September 6, 2019, his eighteenth studio album, “Free”, was released. On April 10, 2020, Pop released an alternate mix of his hit song “China Girl”.
- Pop celebrated his 73rd birthday by releasing an exclusive cover of Sly & the Family Stone’s “Family Affair”, a song Pop covered in 1985, on April 21, 2020.
Awards and Achievements
Iggy Pop has won altogether 7 awards and several nominations. Some of them including 2 Creem Magazine Awards, a GQ Men of the Year Awards, a Critics’ Choice Documentary Awards, a Q Awards, and 2 Grammy nominations.
In 2009, Pop was awarded the Classic Rock Roll of Honour Awards as a living legend. In 2020, Pop was awarded a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award. Besides, Iggy was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame with “The Stooges” in 2010.
Who is Iggy Pop Married to?
Iggy Pop has married three times throughout his life. He was first married to Wendy Weissberg. They got married in 1968 but the marriage lasted for a few weeks and was canceled shortly thereafter in November 1969.
Later, he got married to his second wife, Suchi Asano. Asano is an actress with whom he got married in 1984 and their relationship lasted for almost 14 years before they divorced in 1999.
Currently, Pop is married to his third wife, Nina Alu. Nina and Iggy got married in 2008 and their marriage doesn’t seem to be week as they have been living for a decade together now. Pop has a son named Eric Benson, born in 1970 from a relationship with Paulette Benson.
How Tall is Iggy Pop?
Iggy Pop is a handsome man in his 70s. He has quite maintained athletic body physique. He stands tall with a height of 5ft. 6inches while his body weighs around 65kg. He has a fair complexion with long blonde hair and blue eyes.
What is the Net Worth of Iggy Pop?
The legendary pop singer, Iggy Pop has quite a great earnings from his professional career as a singer. Working in this field for more than 4 decades, he has managed to amass million worth fortune from his several albums and singles.
He also makes money from several tours and concerts and also from movies and series. His current estimated net worth is around $24 million.