Queen Latifah is an American rapper, songwriter, singer, actress, and producer.
Facts of Queen Latifah
|Full Name:||Queen Latifah|
|Age:||53 years 0 months|
|Birth Date:||March 18, 1970|
|Birth Place:||New Jersey, U.S.|
|Net Worth:||$60 M|
|Father's Name:||Lancelot Owens Sr.|
|Education:||Essex Catholic Girls high school|
|Height / How tall :||5.10 inch|
|Eye Color:||Dark Brown|
|Waist Size:||43 inch|
|Bra Size:||45 inch|
|Hip Size:||45 inch|
|Lucky Color:||Sea Green|
|Best Match for Marriage:||Cancer, Scorpio|
|View more / View fewer Facts of Queen Latifah|
Talk about hip-hop, rap, gospel music, and what have you; Queen Latifah is always a notable figure. The American rapper, songwriter, singer, actress, and producer has tested all genres of entertainment and has indeed left an indelible mark on the industry, becoming an inspiration to aspiring entertainers as well her to her counterparts. She is not just known for her prominent and intimidating body, the rare talent has also got some impeccable skills which speak volumes.
Similarly, Queen Latifah will always be remembered for her hit single U.N.I.T.Y. which bemoaned the marginalization and segregation of women in the rap community. The rap queen is known for her advocacy of women’s rights which she boldly integrates into her song lyrics. Here are lesser-known facts about the unique entertainer.
Where is Queen Latifah grew up?
Recalling her early life, Latifah is a daughter of Lancelot Owens Sr., a police officer and Rita (nee Bray), a teacher by profession. She was born as Dana Elaine Owens in Newark, New Jersey. Latifah and her sibling were raised in Baptist faith. Due to a motorbike accident, Latifah had to lose her brother Lancelot Owens Jr. He was also a cop by profession.
Regarding her education, She attended Essex Catholic Girls high school and later graduated from Irvington high school. In her school, she used to power forward for her Basketball team.
When did Queen Latifah pursue her music career?
- From the age of 18, Latifah started beatboxing for the Hip-hop group called Ladies fresh and was a prominent member of the Flavor Unit. She got her way in through the music industry in 1988, when she was signed in by Dante Ross.
- She issued her single song, “Warth of my madness.” Her first album “All Hail the Queen” was released with the production of Tommy Boy Records when she was Nineteen years old. In 1992 she received a Candace Award from the National Coalition of 100 Black Women.
- Not only limiting her career in singing, but Latifah also tried her luck in movies. She debut in her first movie “Jungle Fever.” She also portrayed herself in a movie as a Jazz singer in the 1998 film “Living out loud.” Her performance brought her to act on different movies like “The Bone Collector (1999),” “Brown Sugar,” and so on.
- For three years, from 1999 to 2001, she hosted a daytime talk show ‘The Queen Latifah Show’. Another version of her show was aired in 2013. She has also hosted many award ceremonies.
- In 2015, she gave a powerful performance in ‘Bessie’. She portrayed legendary singer Bessie Smith in this HBO film. Latifah received Emmy and Golden Globe nominations for this role.
- She serves as a spokesperson for ‘Cover Girl’ cosmetics. She even has her own line with the company ‘The Queen Collection’.
- On April 26, 2017, MTV announced that Latifah will be an executive producer for the third season of the slasher television series Scream. The show will undergo a reboot with a new cast and Brett Matthews serving as showrunner. In addition, Matthews, Shakim Compere, and Yateley Arty will also be credited as executive producers for the series under Flavor Unit Entertainment.
- On June 24, 2019, it was confirmed that the third season is scheduled to premiere over three nights on VH1, starting from July 8, 2019. The third season titled Scream: Resurrection premiered on July 8, 2019.
What are the achievements of Queen Latifah?
- She, with her hard work and dedication, was nominated for different awards and won many of them. She earned her first Golden Globe Award through the movie Life Support, Screen Actor Guild Award and nominated for Emmy Award. On 4th January 2006, she received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
- She won prestigious Grammy Award for the first time in 1995 for her single ‘U.N.I.T.Y’. She also won ‘Sammy Davis Jr. Award’ for ‘Entertainer of the Year’.
- For the role in ‘Life Support’ movie, she got her first Golden Globe Award and Screen Actors Guild Award and an Emmy Nomination.
- In June 2011, she received an honorary doctorate degree in ‘Humane Letters’ from ‘Delaware State University’ in Dover, Delaware.
- In 2015, Latifah received a Best Actress Emmy nomination for her lead role as Bessie Smith in Bessie, an HBO film which received a total of 12 Emmy nominations.
Is Queen Latifah was married or not?
Reflecting her personal life, The queen of many talents has dated many divas however she is currently single. She had dated a couple of Hollywood beauties like Eboni Nichols and Jeanette Jenkins. Living a single life in her 50’s she is happy and wants to be away from relationships for a while.
However, rumors sparked that Jenkins and Latifah were planning to tie in the matrimony ceremony. She never officially declared of being a gay and dated Kendu Issacs for eight years. While on the relationship she also was involved with Debbie Allen.
How much does Queen Latifah earn?
Getting her hands on some many different fields, Latifah is eminent in things she does. She has a career not only known for singing instead of acting, producing and administrating her own company. She made a fortune with her success and currently holds $60 million net worth. Her salary is estimated to be $2 million.
How tall is Queen Latifah?
Observing her body physics, Queen stands a height of 5 feet 10 inches. She has 91 Kg body weight. Her body measurement is 45-43-45 inches. Her hair is light brown and has a dark brown beautiful eye.