Founder and first president of North Korea
Facts of Kim Il-sung
|Full Name:||Kim Il-sung|
|Age:||111 years 1 months|
|Birth Date:||April 15, 1912|
|Profession:||Founder and first president of North Korea|
|Best Match for Marriage:||Leo|
|View more / View fewer Facts of Kim Il-sung|
Kim Il-sung was the founder and first president of the Democratic People’s Republic of North Korea. He ruled from the country’s establishment in 1948 until his death in 1994. He held the posts of Premier from 1948 to 1972 and President from 1972 to 1994. He was also the leader of the Workers’ Party of Korea (WPK) from 1949 to 1994 (titled as Chairman from 1949 to 1966 and as General Secretary after 1966). He was the third longest-serving non-royal head of state/government in the 20th century, in office for more than 45 years. In 1998, Kim Il-sung was declared “eternal President of the Republic”. On 8th July 1994, Kim Il-sung died from a sudden heart attack at his residence in Hyangsan, North Pyongyang.
- Being the founder of North Korea, which he ruled from the country’s establishment in 1948 until his death in 1994.
- For holding the posts of Premier from 1948 to 1972 and President from 1972 to 1994.
What is the Cause of Death of Kim Il-sung?
On 8th July 1994, Kim Il-sung died from a sudden heart attack at his residence in Hyangsan, North Pyongyang. After the heart attack, Kim Jong-il ordered the team of doctors who were constantly at his father’s side to leave and arranged for the country’s best doctors to be flown in from Pyongyang. After several hours, the doctors from Pyongyang arrived, but despite their efforts to save him, Kim Il-sung died later that day at the age of 82. After the traditional Confucian Mourning period, his death was declared thirty hours later. His death resulted in nationwide mourning and a ten-day mourning period was declared by Kim Jong-il. His funeral in Pyongyang was attended by hundreds of thousands of people who were flown into the city from all over North Korea. His body was placed in a public mausoleum at the Kumsusan Palace of the Sun, where his preserved and embalmed body lies under a glass coffin for viewing purposes.
What is the birthplace of Kim Il-sung?
Kim Il-sung was born with the birth name of Kim Song-ju. He was born on 15th April 1912. His birthplace was in Mangyondae, Heian-nando, Japanese Korea. He was born to his parents; Kim Hyong-jik (father) and Kang Pan-sok (mother). He lastly celebrated his 82nd birthday. His nationality is Korean and his ethnicity is Asian. His religion is Buddhism. Due to widespread propaganda during his reign, many details about his childhood and family were obscured. According to Kim, his family was not very poor but was always a step away from poverty. He claimed that he was raised by a Presbyterian family and that his maternal grandfather was a minister. In the year 1920, his family fled to prevent persecution by the Japanese conquerors. They resettled their family in Manchuria, now part of China. He also had two younger brothers, Ch’ol-chu (or Kim Chul-ju) and Kim Yong-ju. He attended Whasung Military Academy in 1926, but finding the academy’s training methods outdated, he quit in 1927. He attended Yuwen Middle School in China’s Jilin province up to 1930. His birth sign is Aries.
How was Kim Il-sung’s Career?
- Kim Il-sung was a fervent anti-Japanese activist from his early teens.
- In October 1926, he founded the ‘Down With Imperialism Union’.
- This group’s stated aim was to fight Japanese imperialism.
- After three years, he joined the ‘South Manchurian Communist Youth Association’.
- At seventeen, he had become the youngest member of an underground Marxist organization with fewer than twenty members, led by Ho So, who belonged to the South Manchurian Communist Youth Association.
- The police discovered the group three weeks after it formed in 1929, and jailed him for several months
- In 1931, he joined the ‘Communist Party of China’.
- He joined various anti-Japanese guerrilla groups in northern China.
- In the year 1935, he joined the ‘Northeast Anti-Japanese United Army’ which was a guerilla offshoot of the Communist Party.
- He then adopted a nom de guerre of Kim Jong-Il.
- This is the name he would later be known by the rest of the world and his people.
- In the year 1940, he and his troops were forced to flee as the Japanese forces advanced.
- They crossed the border into the Soviet Union to escape.
- He was then trained by the Soviet army.
- In August 1942, Kim and his army assigned to a special unit that belongs to the Soviet Red Army.
- In the year 1945, the Soviet Union declared war on Japan.
- On 15th August 1945, the ‘Soviet Red Army’ entered Pyongyang and liberated it from the Japanese.
- Stalin, the leader of the Soviet Union, soon appointed him to be the leader of the newly independent Korea.
- On 8th February 1946, he officially became the chairman of the ‘Interim People’s Committee’ which made him the de facto leader of Korea.
- He then declared the foundation of the ‘Democratic People’s Republic of Korea’ on 9th September 1948 which is the official title of the nation of North Korea.
- On 25th June 1950, he ordered his forces to invade South Korea and capture the entirety of the peninsula.
- By October 19, American and South Korean troops had captured Pyongyang and forced him to flee to China.
- The fighting continued till 1953 when a ceasefire between North and South Korea was signed.
- In the year 1955, he invented ‘Juche’, his own religion and political ideology.
- He also named political independence, economic self-sustenance self-reliance in defense, as the three pillars on which his ideology is developed.
- In the year 1968, North Korean forces successfully captured the ‘USS Pueblo’ and her crew, an American naval vessel.
- The capture was a part of his strategy to disrupt the ruling Government which was backed by the US.
- In the year 1972, he ordered a new constitution to take effect, making him the permanent president of the country.
- In the year 1991, he successfully lobbied the United Nations to admit his country as a member nation.
- He then appointed his son as head of the military, whom he had named his successor.
- In the year 1992, he negotiated a series of compromises with South Korea which included a non-aggression pact and economic exchange.
- North Korea cut off all official contact with South Korea.
- In the year 1994, he began a program of nuclear power development and ordered that work begins on developing a ballistic nuclear missile.
- In June 1994, former US president Jimmy Carter traveled to Pyongyang in an effort to persuade Kim to negotiate with the Clinton Administration over its nuclear program.
- To the astonishment of the United States and the International Atomic Energy Agency, Kim agreed to halt his nuclear research program and seemed to be embarking upon a new opening to the West.
- Kim died before a scheduled summit with the president of South Korea.
Who was Kim Il-sung’s Wife?
Kim Jong-Il was a married man. He married twice in his lifetime. He exchanged the nuptial vows with Kim Jong-suk, before World War II but she died in the year 1949. Prior to her death, she gave birth to two sons, Kim Man-il and Kim Jong-Il, who succeeded his father as president of North Korea. Kim’s grandson Kim Jong-Un is the current leader of North Korea. After that, he married Kim Sung-ae, his second wife, in 1952. Reports indicate that they had three children. He is rumored to have had many mistresses, including Kim Hyon-nam, and an unknown number of children from these relationships.
What is the Net Worth of Kim Il-sung?
Kim Il-sung was the founder of North Korea, which he ruled from the country’s establishment in 1948 until his death in 1994. He held the posts of Premier from 1948 to 1972 and President from 1972 to 1994. As of 2020, his net worth is unavailable at the moment. Prior to his death, he was earning a huge amount of money and he was satisfied with his earnings.
How tall is Kim Il-sung?
Kim Il-sung was a very handsome person with an average body build. He had got a chubby cheek with short black hair. His eye color was also black. He had got a perfect height matching with his body weight. Whereas the details regarding his height, weight, and other body measurements are unavailable at the moment.