Leon Redbone was a Cypriot-American singer-songwriter, guitarist, actor, and voice actor specializing in jazz, blues, and Tin Pan Alley classics. Redbone was mostly renowned for his Panama hat, dark sunglasses, and black tie.
Musician and Vocalist
Facts of Leon Redbone
|Full Name:||Leon Redbone|
|Birth Date:||August 26, 1949|
|Death Date:||May 30, 2019|
|Birth Place:||Nicosia, Cyprus|
|Profession:||Musician and Vocalist|
|Children:||Ashley Redbone and Blake Redbone Moyer|
|Relationship affair ?:||No|
|Is gay ?:||No|
|Hair Color:||Black and Pepper|
|Eye Color:||Dark Brown|
|Best Match for Marriage:||Taurus, Capricorn|
|View more / View fewer Facts of Leon Redbone|
Leon Redbone was a Cypriot-American singer-songwriter, guitarist, actor, and voice actor specializing in jazz, blues, and Tin Pan Alley classics. Redbone was mostly renowned for his Panama hat, dark sunglasses, and black tie. He first appeared on stage in Toronto, Ontario, Canada in the mid-1970s. He also appeared on film and television in acting and voice-over roles. Redbone’s concerts made use of performance, comedy, and skilled instrumentals. Recurrent gags involved the influence of alcohol and claiming to have written works originating well before he was born (Redbone favored material from the Tin Pan Alley era circa the 1890s to 1910). He sang the theme to the 1980s television series Mr. Belvedere and released sixteen albums. Today, let’s explore the facts about Leon Redbone wiki, career, net worth, and many more.
What is Leon Redbone known for?
- A Cypriot-American singer-songwriter, guitarist, actor, and voice actor.
- His Panama hat, dark sunglasses, and black tie.
Where is the birthplace of Leon Redbone?
Back to his early life, Leon Redbone was born as Dickran Gobalian in Nicosia, Cyprus. He is Cypriot-American by nationality and his ethnicity is unknown. Further, His birth sign is Virgo. There is no information regarding his parents and education details on the internet. If you know, please share with us by using the comment.
When did Leon Redbone pursue his music career?
- Talking about his music career, Leon began performing in public at Toronto area nightclubs and folk music festivals. He met Bob Dylan at the Mariposa Folk Festival while living in Canada in the early 1970s. Dylan was so impressed by Redbone’s performance that he mentioned it in a Rolling Stone interview, leading that magazine to do a feature article on Redbone a year before he had a recording contract. The article described his performances as “so authentic you can hear the surface noise.” His first album, On the Track, was released by Warner Bros. Records in 1975.
- Redbone was introduced to a larger public as a semi-regular musical guest on NBC’s Saturday Night Live, appearing twice in the first season. During the 1980s and ’90s, Redbone was a frequent guest on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson. He has also been a guest on A Prairie Home Companion.
- On February 12, 1979, Redbone was involved in a small plane crash in Clarksburg, West Virginia which he was fortunate to survive. He used to travel to engagements exclusively by car, saying, “I carry around many unusual items and devices. They make life difficult for airport security personnel and flying impossible for me.”
- On May 19th, 2015 on his website, his publicist announced his retirement from performing and recording.
- Redbone sang “Baby, It’s Cold Outside” with Zooey Deschanel over the closing credits of the 2003 film Elf and provided the voice for Leon the Snowman. On his 1987 album Christmas Island, he performed “Frosty the Snowman” with Dr. John. He performed the theme song for the TV shows Mr. Belvedere and Harry and the Hendersons.
- Besides music, Redbone appeared regularly on the PBS children’s show Between the Lions. He appeared on an episode of the TV show Life Goes On. He narrated the 2011 Emmy-winning documentary Remembering the Scranton Sirens.
- Redbone performed in several TV commercials, including Budweiser beer, in which he lay on a surfboard singing “This Bud’s for You”, the U.S. automobile brand Chevrolet, All laundry detergent, and InterCity British Rail service in which he sang the song “Relax”. He also lent his voice to an animated caricature of himself in a commercial for Ken-L Ration dog food.
Who is the wife of Leon Redbone?
Reflecting on his personal life, Leon’s wife is Beryl Handler. There is no information about when they tie the knot. Beryl worked as his producer and manager. The couple blessed two daughters, they are Ashley Redbone and Blake Redbone Moyer.
How much net worth is Leon Redbone owns?
As per different online sources, Leon Redbone’s estimated net worth elaborates somewhere around $9 million at the time of his death. However, his salary is yet to be disclosed or under review. In the case of disclosure, we will let you know.
How tall is Leon Redbone?
Observing his body statistics, Redbone stands a decent height and has a balanced weight at the time of his death. His body information is yet to be disclosed. In the case of disclosure, we will let you know.
Moves to his dressing style, Redbone usually dressed in attire reminiscent of the Vaudeville era, performing in a Panama hat with a black band and dark sunglasses, often while sitting at attention on a stool, with a white coat and trousers with a black string tie.
What is the reason behind Leon Redbone’s death?
Redbone died on May 30th, 2019. He was 69 years old at the time of his death. Ashley Redbone was the one who posted news about her father’s death in a Facebook post. His cause of death has yet to be released by his family. So, stay tuned with us for more new updates.