Facts of Gretchen Whitmer
|Full Name:||Gretchen Whitmer|
|Age:||52 years 1 months|
|Birth Date:||August 23, 1971|
|Best Match for Marriage:||Taurus, Capricorn|
|View more / View fewer Facts of Gretchen Whitmer|
Gretchen Whitmer is a democratic leader of America who has proven to be one of the greatest politicians of all time. She came into fame after she got elected as a Governor Of Michigan. She is loved for being loyal to her citizens and executed more effective ethics standards in Michigan. In February 2020, she was selected to give the Democratic response to President Donald Trump’s 2020 State of the Union Address. To know more about her, you can read the below article.
What is Gretchen Whitmer Famous For?
- An American politician serving as the 49th governor of Michigan.
Where was Gretchen Whitmer Born?
Going back to her early life, Gretchen was born in Lansing, Michigan in the year 1971 to her parents. She has an American nationality and her ethnicity is white. Her father’s name is Richard Whitmer and her mother’s name is Sherry Whitmer. Her father was head of the state’s Department of Commerce while her mother served as an assistant attorney general. She was the eldest of three siblings. When she was 10 years old, her parents got divorced and she along with her siblings lived with their mother.
For education, She finished her high school from Forest Hills Central High School. In the year 1993, she got a BA in communications from a well-reputed university named Michigan State University. Again in the year 1998, she also got a Juris Doctor degree from Detroit College of Law at Michigan State University.
Gretchen Whitmer Career Highlights
- Talking about her career journey, Gretchen Whitmer originally ran for the Michigan House of Representatives in the 1990s but was unsuccessful. In 2000, she tried again and was elected to represent the 23rd legislative district. She was reelected in 2002 and 2004.
- In March 2006, She left the statehouse and became a State Senator. She was elected and reelected in 2006 and 2010. In 2011, Her Democratic colleagues unanimously chose her to be the Senate Democratic Leader, making her the first woman to lead a party caucus in the Senate.
- She continued in that role for the remainder of her time there. Due to term limits, She was unable to run for reelection in 2014 and left office in 2015.
- In 2013, she received national recognition when she discussed her experience of being sexually assaulted. She told the story during a debate about abortion rights, particularly for victims of rape, arguing victims should be allowed to terminate pregnancies which resulted from rape.
- On May 11th, 2016, it was announced that the judges of Michigan’s 30th Judicial Circuit Court had unanimously selected her to serve the remaining six months of the term of outgoing Ingham County Prosecutor Stuart Dunnings III after he was arrested on March 14th, 2016, and charged with 11 counts of involvement with a prostitute and four counts of willful neglect of duty. In a letter dated March 29th, 2016, Dunnings announced he would resign effective July 2nd.
- On June 21st, 2016, She was administered the oath of office as a prosecutor by Ingham County Circuit Court Chief Judge Janelle Lawless. She said her top priorities during her six months of service would be to determine if any other officials in the prosecutor’s office knew about Dunnings’s alleged crimes and to change how the office handled domestic violence and sexual assault cases.
- On January 3rd, 2017, She announced she would run in the 2018 Michigan gubernatorial race. On August 7th, 2018, She became the Democratic nominee for governor of Michigan. She won all 83 counties in the state in the Democratic primary.
- In July 2018, Republican officials accused her of supporting the movement to abolish ICE, a claim Whitmer disputed. She said that if elected she would focus on improving Michigan’s “fundamentals”, such as schools, roads, and water systems.
- Her main opponent was Republican Bill Schuette, the term-limited Attorney General of Michigan. The two candidates met for a debate on October 12th, 2018, in Grand Rapids at WOOD-TV. A second debate was held at WDIV studios in Detroit on October 24.
- She defeated Schuette in the November 6 election by nearly a 10-point margin.
- In February 2020, She was selected to deliver the Democratic response to Donald Trump’s 2020 State of the Union Address. Michigan is considered a swing state in the 2020 presidential election, and Democrats hoped Whitmer’s selection would bolster their chances of winning the state.
Who is Gretchen Whitmer Married to?
Gretchen Whitmer was a married woman. She was married to Gary Shrewsbury. The relationship with her husband, Gary Shrewsbury didn’t work well and they got separated. She had two daughters, Sydney and Sherry Shrewsbury, with her first husband.
She then found the love of her life, Marc Mallory and got married again. Marc had three sons named Alex, Mason, and Winston Mallory from his previous marriage as well. Presently, the pair live in East Lansing, Michigan with their children.
What is Gretchen Whitmer Net Worth?
The net worth of Gretchen Whitmer is $500 thousand as of 2020. Politics is the main source of her net worth. She had active participation in the political sector since her early days and received a decent salary being a democratic leader. However, the details of her assets are yet to be disclosed.
How Tall is Gretchen Whitmer?
Talking about her body physics, Gretchen has a height of 5 feet 8 inches and she has a body-weight of 64 Kg. Her eyes are brown and hair is dark brown. She used 8 (US) shoe size. Further, her other body information still unknown. Whenever we will be updated, we will let you know.