Facts of Joel Schumacher Bioghraphy
|Full Name:||Joel Schumacher Bioghraphy|
|Age:||82 years 11 months|
|Birth Date:||August 29, 1939|
|Best Match for Marriage:||Taurus, Capricorn|
|View more / View fewer Facts of Joel Schumacher Bioghraphy|
Joel Schumacher was an American filmmaker who is known for his directing three hit films: St. Elmo’s Fire (1985), The Lost Boys (1987), and Flatliners (1990). He also directed Batman film series, Batman Forever (1995) and Batman & Robin (1997). Further, he was also a screenwriter and producer. Sadly, he left this world forever on 22nd June 2020 due to cancer. To know more about him, you can read the below article to the end.
What is Joel Schumacher famous for?
- An American director, screenwriter, and producer.
- His direction of movies such as The Lost Boys (1987), Flatliners (1990), The Client (1994), Falling Down (1993), 8mm (1999), Tigerland (2000), and Phone Booth (2002).
Where is Joel Schumacher from?
Going back to his early life, Joel was born under the birth sign of Virgo to his parents, Francis Schumacher and Marian Kantor in the year 1939. Unfortunately, his father died in 1943 when he was four years old. After that, his mother raised him as a single mother. Later, his mother also died in 1965. His nationality was American and his ethnicity was White. Further, his religion was Agnosticism.
For education, He attended Parsons School for Design and then studied at the Fashion Institute of Technology. After realizing that he wanted to pursue filmmaking; he moved to Los Angeles and earned an MFA (Master of Fine Arts) degree from the University of California.
How Joel Schumacher become a filmmaker?
- Talking about his career journey, Joel debuted his screenplay in 1976 through a musical drama film, “Sparkle.”
- He wrote the screenplays for the 1976 low-budget hit movie Car Wash and 1978’s The Wiz.
- In 1981, He made his directorial debut through the science-fiction comedy film, “The Incredible Shrinking Woman.”
- He directed two adaptations of John Grisham’s novels: The Client (1994) and A Time to Kill (1996).
- In 1995, He directed Batman Forever which scored the highest-grossing opening weekend of the year.
- In 1997, he directed Batman & Robin which considered to be one of the worst films ever made. He later heartily apologized to Batman fans.
- After that, He decided to reinvent his career with darker, lower-budget fare like 8mm and Flawless. 8mm was entered into the 49th Berlin International Film Festival.
- He also served as the director for the music videos of two songs appearing in the franchise: “Kiss from a Rose” and “The End Is the Beginning Is the End.”
- In 1999, He also directed the music video for “Letting the Cables Sleep” by English rock band Bush.
- In 2000, He directed the Vietnam-era boot camp drama Tigerland, which introduced Hollywood to a young Colin Farrell.
- After that, He returned to big-budget Hollywood with Bad Company. The film was originally slated to be released in November 2001, but after the September 11th attacks, it was pushed back to the summer of 2002 because of its theme about terrorist attacks in New York City.
- In 2002, He directed Cate Blanchett in the Jerry Bruckheimer-produced biopic, Veronica Guerin. The film earned $154.6 million worldwide and was nominated for three Academy Awards, as well as three Golden Globes, including Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy.
- In 2006, He was attached to direct the film version of The Minds of Billy Milligan. The projected release date was supposed to be in 2008, but as of present there has not been a film based on the book yet released and the volume’s author Daniel Keyes died in 2014.
- In 2008, He directed the music video for American rock band Scars on Broadway, for their single “World Long Gone.”
- In 2011, He directed the crime thriller film, “Trespass.”
- He also directed the film, “The Hive” but left the project in 2012 for an undisclosed reason. Later, the movie was retitled “The Call” and released in 2013.
Is Joel Schumacher gay?
Joel Schumacher had been openly gay for a long time and had often mentioned in interviews that he had sex with up to 20,000 men. However, he had also stated that despite his promiscuity, he never had any serious relationship because it was a taboo subject until his death.
Further, He donated thousands of dollars to Democratic candidates. Sadly, he died from cancer on June 22nd, 2020 in New York City at the age of 80.
Joel Schumacher net worth
Joel Schumacher made his fortune from his profession as a filmmaker i.e. director, screenwriter, and producer. As per the online sites, His net worth was estimated at $80 million.
What was Joel Schumacher height?
Joel Schumacher had a height of 6 feet 3 inches and weighed 78 Kg. His eyes were Hazel and his hair color was gray. Further, his sexual orientation is gay.