Actress, Singer and Songwriter
Facts of Kyla
|Age:||41 years 8 months|
|Birth Date:||January 05, 1981|
|Profession:||Actress, Singer and Songwriter|
|Best Match for Marriage:||Scorpio, Virgo, Taurus|
|View more / View fewer Facts of Kyla|
Kyla is a critically acclaimed Filipino R&B singer-songwriter. She is also known as the R&B and Soul Princess. She is also a producer, occasional actress, and TV presenter. She is a member of the Filipino girl group DIVAS, along with Angeline Quinto, KZ Tandingan, and Yeng Constantino. She rose to prominence with the release of her second single “Hanggang Ngayon”. The music video won the MTV Viewers Choice at the 2001 MTV Video Music Awards, making her the first East Asian female artist to win an MTV Award. She has also been honored by the Philippines Society of Composers, Singers, and Publishers for her contributions to music as one of the first pioneers of R&B music in the Philippines.
Kyla has collaborated with many international artists including American R&B singers Brian McKnight and Keith Martin, Irish musician Ronan Keating, British boy band Blue, Norwegian band Fra Lippo Lippi, Malaysian artists Too Phat, Noryn Aziz, Ferhad, and Hazami and Indonesian R&B singer Joeniar Arief.
Kyla is quite active in social media platforms with over 544k followers on her Instagram: @kylaalvarez and with over 124k followers on her Twitter: @Kylareal. She also runs a YouTube channel @ Kyla Official with over 161k subscribers.
What is Kyla famous for?
- Famous as R&B and Soul Princess.
- For her second single “Hanggang Ngayon”.
Where was Kyla born?
Kyla was born in Tondo, Manila, the Philippines on January 5, 1981. Her birth name is Melanie Hernandez Calumpad. She was born to father, Ulysses Calumpad who is a former bass player and folk singer and mother, Olive Hernandez-Calumpad. She Has three siblings. She holds Filipino nationality and belongs to Asian ethnic background. Her zodiac sign is Capricorn.
Regarding her educational background, she attended San Sebastian College – Recoletos. After high graduation, she enrolled at Philippine Christian University and earned her bachelor’s degree in BS Mass Communication.
Kyla’s Career Highlights
- Kyla was started singing at a very young age. At the age of 10, she has already joined many prestigious TV singing contests.
- In 1991, she won a singing contest “Hamon sa Kampeon”.
- In August 1995, she represented the country in the Fourth Yamaha Music Quest in Japan, and in 1997, she brought home the third prize trophy in the Metropop Young Singer’s Competition.
- Later on, she recorded two solo tracks: “I Wish You Love” and “Kung Magkikita Tayo Muli”.
- She began her singing career in 2000 under OctoArts EMI Philippines. She released her debut studio album “Way to Your Heart” which includes the single “Hanggang Ngayon” which was nominated at MTV Pilipinas Awards in 2001 for Best Song and music video, Best Direction and Best Video. Kyla also won Best New Artist and Best Female Artist. The music video also won the MTV Video Music Awards as MTV Southeast Asia 2001 Viewer’s Choice making Kyla the first and the only female artist to win the VMAs.
- In 2002, Kyla released her self-titled studio album “Kyla” which marked her as a songwriter, penning two compositions: “I’m Into You” and “This Day”.
- On April 14, 2002, she joined a television variety show “SOP” as a host.
- Her third studio album “I Will Be There” was released in 2003. Following year, she made her acting debut appearing in TV drama series, “Narito Ang Puso Ko” as Melanie.
- In May 2004, she released her biggest-selling album to date, “Not Your Ordinary Girl” which includes five singles “Because Of You”, “Human Nature”, “If the Feeling Is Gone”, “Not Your Ordinary Girl”, and “Till They Take My Heart Away”.
- She hosted the reality talent competition show, “Popstar Kids” from 2006 to 2007 which produced by teen singing sensation, Julie Anne San Jose.
- In June 2006, she released her fifth studio album, “Beautiful Days” which features the popular single “Ngayong Wala Ka Na”.
- In 2007, she released her sixth studio album, “Heartfelt” and in the following year she co-produced and released her seventh studio album, “Heart 2 Heart”.
- Kyla was a regular performer-host of GMA’s Sunday variety show, “Party Pilipinas” from 2010 to 2013.
- On November 30, 2010, her eighth studio album, “Private Affair” was released under EMI and PolyEast Records.
- In 2011, she appeared as one of the casts of GMA Network’s Primetime dance-themed series, “Time of My Life”.
- Kyla recorded “Huling Sayaw” with rock band Kamikazee for the band’s new album, “Romantico” which was released in April 2012.
- In March 2015, she recorded her first teleserye drama theme song with ABS-CBN for the TV series “On the Wings of Love”.
- On December 6, 2016, she signed a contract with ‘Star Music’.
- On January 19, 2018, she released the first single entitled “Only Gonna Love You” and the second lead single, “Fix You And Me” was released on February 2 by ‘Star Music’.
Kyla’s Awards and Nominations
- In 2001, Kyla won MTV Video Music Awards on the category of ‘MTV Viewers’ Choice for Southeast Asia’, MTV Pilipinas Music Awards on the category of ‘Best New Artist’ and 14th Awit Awards on the category of ‘Best Performance by A New Female Recording Artist’ and ‘Music Video Performance of the Year’.
- She also won Guillermo Mendoza Foundation Awards on the category of ‘Most Promising Female Artist’, RX 93.1 Awards on the category of ‘OPM Female Artist of the Year’ and KCFM 93.9 Awards on the category of ‘Breakthrough Artist of the Year’ in 2001.
- In 2002, she won MTV Pilipinas Award on the category of ‘Best Song’ for “I Feel For You” and also nominated for ‘Best Female Artist’.
- In 2002, she won Aliw Awards on the category of ‘Best New Female Artist’, RX 93.1 Awards on the category of ‘OPM Female Artist of the Year’ and Magic 89.9 Awards on the category of ‘Female Artist of the Year’. She also won three Katha Awards in 2002.
- In 2003, she nominated for a Katha Awards on the category of ‘Best R&B Song’ for “This Day” and also achieved twice nominations for Awit Awards on the category of ‘Best R&B’ and ‘Best Performance by A Female Recording Artist’.
- In 2004, she won four Awit Awards, a National Consumer’s Choice Awards, and a MEG Teen Choice Award.
- In 2005, she won 1st Philippine Annual Hip-hop Music Awards on the category of Female R&B Artist of the Year Award by Empire Entertainment, making her First Filipina recipient.
- In 2007, she won YES! Mag’s Readers’ Choice Awards on the category of ‘Hitmaker of the Year’ for “Beautiful Days”. in the same year, she was also nominated for 20th Awit Awards on the category of ‘Best Engineered Recording’ for “Doin’ Just Fine”.
- In 2008, she won an Awit Awards on the category of ‘Best Ballad’ for “It’s Over Now” and an MYX Music Awards on the category of ‘Favorite Remake’ for “Love Will Lead You Back”.
- In 2009, she won an Awit Awards on the category of ‘Best R&B Song’ for “You Make Me Feel”, three RX 93.1 Awards on the category of ‘Song of the Year’, ‘Female Artist of the Year’ and ‘Female Artist of the Decade’.
- In 2010, she won two MYX Music Awards on the category of ‘Favorite Song’ for “Back In Time” and on the category of ‘Favorite Mellow Video’ for “Old Friend”.
- In 2011, she has won two Awit Awards on the category of ‘Best Performance by a Female Recording Artist’ and ‘Best Vocal Arrangement’.
- In 2013, she won MYX Music Awards on the category of ‘Favorite Rock Video’ for “Huling Sayaw” and a Sunday All-Stars Award on the category of ‘Best Performer’.
- In 2015, she won a PMPC Star Awards for Music on the category of ‘R&B Album of the Year’ for “Journey” and an Awit Awards on the category of ‘Best Rock/Alternative Recording’ for “Salbabida”.
- In 2016, she won two MYX Music Awards on the category of ‘Favorite Media Soundtrack’ and ‘Favorite Remake’ for “On the Wings of Love”.
- In 2017, she won Awit Awards on the category of ‘Best Performance by Collaboration’ for “Monumento” and also nominated for MYX Music Awards on the category of ‘Favorite Media Soundtrack’ for “Till I Met You”.
- Kyla has also been honored by the Philippines Society of Composers, Singers, and Publishers for her contributions to music as one of the first pioneers of R&B music in the Philippines.
Kyla is a married woman. She married to PBA player Rich Alvarez. The couple started dating in 2005. After six years of dating, the couple announced their engagement on February 10, 2011. Finally, their wedding took place on November 28, 2011, at Santuario de San Antonio.
The couple blessed with their first child a son, Toby Elsiah on May 5, 2013. Kyla suffered a miscarriage in March 2018. She took a 2-month break due to her sensitive pregnancy in September 2018. She shared that she had suffered her second miscarriage via her Instagram account on November 8, 2018.
Kyla’s Height and Weight
Kyla is a beautiful lady. She stands at a height of 1.8 m (5 feet and 9 inches) tall and her body weight is around 54 kg (119 lbs.). She has a fair skin tone with brown hair and a pair of Black eye. Her sexual orientation is Straight.
Kyla’s Net Worth
As an R&B singer-songwriter, Kyla might be made a good fortune. Besides singing, she is also a producer, occasional actress, composer, and TV presenter. Her major earnings come from her singing career. However, there is no information about her net worth, salary, and asset details.