Separamadu Lasith Malinga is a former Sri Lankan cricketer. He captained the Sri Lankan 2014 T20 World Cup winning side.
Facts of Lasith Malinga
|Full Name:||Lasith Malinga|
|Age:||39 years 5 months|
|Birth Date:||August 28, 1983|
|Birth Place:||Galle, Sri Lanka|
|Net Worth:||$8.5 million|
|When did Lasith Malinga get married ? (married date):||, 2010|
|Relationship affair ?:||No|
|Is gay ?:||No|
|Height / How tall :||5 feet and 8 inches|
|Hair Color:||Dyed Golden-Brown|
|Eye Color:||Dark brown|
|Best Match for Marriage:||Taurus, Capricorn|
|View more / View fewer Facts of Lasith Malinga|
Lasith Malinga is a Sri Lankan cricketer, who bowls right-arm fast to the batsmen and is often referred to as death bowler by the spectators. Considered as one of the greatest fast bowlers in the shorter format, the slinger is best known for his toe crushing Yorkers and consecutive wicket-taking ability.
He is the only bowler to have taken 2 hat-tricks in ODI cricket and the only bowler to take 4 wickets in 4 balls both in ODI and T20. He achieved the feat against South Africa in 2007, second time against New Zealand in T20. On 22nd April 2011, he announced his retirement from test cricket. On July 26, 2019, he retired from ODI cricket, he played his last ODI against Bangladesh. Here are some lesser-known facts regarding Malinga. To know about him, read below.
Lasith Malinga takes historic hat-trick after becoming 1st bowler to 100 T20I wickets
Sri Lanka vs New Zealand, 3rd T20I: Lasith Malinga went past Pakistan great Wasim Akram to become the 1st bowler to take 5 hat-tricks in international cricket. On Friday, Malinga picked up his 2nd T20I hat-trick in Pallekele against New Zealand.
Sri Lanka captain Lasith Malinga on Friday became the first-ever bowler to take 100 wickets in T20I format in 3rd T20I against New Zealand at Pallekele. Soon after achieving the feat, Malinga picked up a historic hat-trick, decimating the Black Caps top-order.
Lasith Malinga became the first-ever bowler to pick up 2 hat-tricks in T20I cricket. Malinga had taken his 1st T20I hat-trick in a T20I match against Bangladesh in Colombo on April 2017. Notably, Malinga now has a total of 5 hat-tricks in limited-overs international cricket.
Malinga also went past Wasim Akram and set a record for the most number of hat-tricks in international cricket. Malinga has 3 hat-tricks in ODIs while Akram had 2 in Tests and as many in ODIs.
Who are the parents of Lasith Malinga?
Recalling his early life, Lasith Malinga was born to Serparamudu Milton and Swarna Thenuwara, a retired bus mechanic in a coastal village named Rathgama. He grew up in modest circumstances in Rathgama, a coastal village situated 12 km northwest of Galle. He often played cricket with friends on the sandbanks and coconut groves by a river in his cricket-obsessed village.
Regarding his education, He had his education at three schools, namely Mahinda College, Galle, Vidyaloka College, Galle and Vidyathilake Vidyalaya, Thiranagama. Malinga had his primary education at Vidyathilake Vidyalaya in Thiranagama, a school situated nearby his village. After passing the Grade 5 Scholarship Examination in 1993, he entered Vidyaloka College, Galle for his secondary education, where he started his cricket career.
When did Lasith Malinga begin to play cricket?
- After passing 5th standard, he joined Vidyaloka College, where he started his cricket career. It was the place where the young prodigy was spotted by former Sri Lankan paceman Champaka Ramanayake. He saw the raw talent in Malinga and encouraged him to join the Galle Cricket club and also played a pivotal role in joining playing XI of Mahinda College, Galle. It was the turning point in Malinga career as it put him in the spotlight of the national team selectors.
- Lasith Malinga made his international debut on 1 July 2004 against Australia at Marrara Oval In Darwin and instantly made an impression after he took 6 crucial wickets in the match. He dismissed Darren Lehmann twice, Adam Gilchrist, Damien Martyn, Shane Warne, and Michael Kasprowich. He made his ODI debut against UAE at the 2004 Asia Cup.
- He is the highest wicket-taker for Sri Lanka in World Cups, on 28th March 2007, he became the first bowler to take 4 wickets in 4 bowls against South Africa. During the World Cup 2011, he too his another hat-trick against Kenya, becoming the only bowler to take 2 hat-tricks in World Cup history.
- In August 2011, he took yet another hat-trick against Australia setting a new world record of 3 hat-tricks in ODI history. During his entire international career, he took 13 five-wicket hauls (3 in tests, 8 in ODI and 2 in T20). He took 543 wickets in total ( 101 wickets in tests, 338 in ODI and 104 in T20).
- He played 30 tests and took 101 wickets in total that includes 3 five-wicket hauls. His lethal Yorkers and bouncers troubled batsman across the globe, but post 2010 he started losing the pace and on 22nd April 2011, he announced his retirement from test cricket.
- Malinga played 226 ODI’s and took 338 wickets that included 8 five-wicket hauls. In July 2019, he announced his retirement from ODI, he played his last game against Bangladesh and dismissed Mushtiqur Rahim in the final over, therefore becoming the ninth highest wicket-taker in ODI history with 338 wickets.
- Besides, Lasith Malinga was named as the vice-captain of the Sri Lankan Twenty20 International team in October 2012. He became captain of Sri Lankan Cricket Team in 2014 ICC World Twenty20 after Dinesh Chandimal received a ban. During the process, he became the only Sri Lankan T20 captain to have led the team to Wolrd Cup win in 2014. Due to frequent injuries, he stepped down as captain in 2015.
Career Achievements of Lasith Malinga
- He is the only bowler in world cricket till date to have taken 2 four-wicket hauls in 4 consecutive deliveries (v. South Africa March 2007 and New Zealand 2019). He is also the only bowler to achieve an amazing milestone in two different formats.
- He is the first bowler to take 100 wickets in T20 cricket and the bowler to take 100 wickets across all formats (Test, ODI, and T20).
- He is the only bowler in cricket world to have taken 4 hat-tricks in international cricket (3 in ODI, 1 in T20).
Lasith Malinga and Angelo Mathews hold the world record of highest run partnership for the 9th wicket in an ODI, they stood for132 partnership stand against Australia in Melbourne in 2010. In the match, Malinga scored 56 runs from 48 balls that included six fours and two sixes.
- His 56 against Australia is the fourth-highest ODI score by a number 10 batsman in ODI history and the highest ODI score for Sri Lanka at number 10 position. He is also the only Sri Lankan to score a fifty in no 10 positions in ODI history.
- He is the only bowler in 50 over World Cup history to have taken 2 hat-tricks. He achieved the feat against South Africa in 2007 and against Kenya in 2011.
- He is the second-highest wicket-taker in T20 cricket with 317 wickets in 232 games.
- Malinga is the highest wicket-taker in the Indian Premier League with 170 scalps to his name.
- Malinga holds the best figures in BBL history with 6/7.
- He is only the fourth Sri Lankan to take 300 wickets in ODI after Muralitharan, Vaas, and Jayasuriya. Overall he is the fifth quickest bowler to take 300 wickets in ODI.
- He is the quickest to take 50 wickets in world cups (26 innings).
- He is the third-highest wicket-taker in World Cup history (56 wickets).
- He holds the record for most wickets between 2011 and 2014, he took 163 wickets across all the formats.
Who is Lasith Malinga married to?
Reflecting his personal life, Malinga is married to Tanya Perera, a dancer by profession in the year 2010. The couple is blessed with one daughter and a son named Duvin. His real name is Separamadu Lasith Malinga and over the years the pacer has earned quite a few nicknames like Slinga, Malinga the singer, Kagawa. At present, the couple lives a lavish life with their children without any rumors of separation.
How much net worth does Lasith Malinga?
As one of the greatest fast bowler in the cricket industry, he must assume the sum of a good amount of money from his successful career. As per online sites, his estimated net worth said to be $20 Million at present while his salary is yet to be disclosed.
How tall is Lasith Malinga?
Observing his body statistics, Malinga stands a height of 5 feet 8 inches and weighs around 75 Kg. Similarly, he has a pair of dark brown eyes and curly black (Dyed Golden-Brown) hair. Further, his body measures 42-34-14 inches includes his chest, waist, and biceps. His shoe size is 9 (US).
- 1 Lasith Malinga takes historic hat-trick after becoming 1st bowler to 100 T20I wickets
- 2 Who are the parents of Lasith Malinga?
- 3 When did Lasith Malinga begin to play cricket?
- 4 Career Achievements of Lasith Malinga
- 5 Who is Lasith Malinga married to?
- 6 How much net worth does Lasith Malinga?
- 7 How tall is Lasith Malinga?