Robert James Smith famed as Robert Smith is an English singer, songwriter, as well as musician who is famous as the lead singer, guitarist, multi-instrumentalist, lyricist, principal songwriter, and only consistent member of the rock band the Cure, which he co-founded in 1976.
Facts of Robert Smith
|Full Name:||Robert Smith|
|Age:||63 years 5 months|
|Birth Date:||April 21, 1959|
|Birth Place:||Blackpool, Lancashire, UK|
|When did Robert Smith get married ? (married date):||, 1988|
|Relationship affair ?:||No|
|Is gay ?:||No|
|Father's Name:||Alex Smith|
|Mother's Name:||Rita Smith|
|Education:||St. Wilfred's Comprehensive School|
|Height / How tall :||5.10 inch|
|Ethnicity:||Mixed (English- Irish)|
|Best Match for Marriage:||Virgo, Cancer, Capricorn|
|View more / View fewer Facts of Robert Smith|
Robert James Smith famed as Robert Smith is an English singer, songwriter, as well as musician who is famous as the lead singer, guitarist, multi-instrumentalist, lyricist, principal songwriter, and only consistent member of the rock band the Cure, which he co-founded in 1976. He is known for his distinctive voice, guitar-playing style, and stage look, the latter two of which were influential on the goth subculture that rose to prominence in the 1980s. He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a member of the Cure in 2019.
Robert Smith Talks the Cure’s ‘Overwhelming’ 40th Anniversary Concert Film
Robert Smith wasn’t ready for the full 4K experience when he sat down to watch a concert film of The Cure’s stunning 2018 Hyde Park concert. “The first close-up of a human face I saw was me,” he says. “It was quite terrifying.” The recent Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee says he was initially on the fence about making the film, which is titled Anniversary 1978-2018 Live in Hyde Park London and will get a special screening in movie theaters around the world on Thursday, July 11th. People tend to be more self-conscious when they know they’re being filmed, but he decided it was ultimately worth it since it was a momentous occasion. The gig took place 40 years to the weekend from when The Cure played their first gig in Crawley, and he’d jammed the setlist with favorites like “Just Like Heaven,” “Lovesong” and “Boys Don’t Cry.” So he asked the band’s longtime videographer, Tim Pope, to direct the film “on the sly” with 16 cameras and didn’t tell his bandmates, who had enough to worry about with playing for some 65,000 people that day. Despite his initial fright with the close-up, he’s happy he did it. The show came after the Cure played another gig in London as part of the Meltdown festival, so he worked hard to differentiate the two experiences. For the Meltdown show, dubbed Curation, he played a set that started with the band’s earliest material, progressed to their most recent, and returned to the earliest. For the 40th anniversary show, he picked nearly 30 songs that “an audience would want to hear.”
Early Life of Robert Smith
Robert Smith was born on 21st April 1959 in Blackpool, Lancashire, the United Kingdom. He is the son of Alex Smith (father) and Rita Smith (mother). He has three siblings namely, Richard Smith, Margaret Smith, and Janet Thompson. His family keeps shifting from one place to another, hence he was brought up in different places. He belongs to British nationality and mixed (English- Irish) ethnicity. His birth sign is Taurus. On talking about his education, he attended St. Francis Primary School. Then, he attended Notre Dame Middle School. Similarly, he attended St. Wilfrid’s Comprehensive School. He completed his school education by 1977. His religion is Christian. As of 2019, his age is 60.
Body Measurements of Robert Smith
Robert is a very handsome singer with perfect body measurements and with long hair. He has got a very white face tone. Talking about his height, Robert has a height of 5 feet 10 inches. Additionally, he weighs is 80 Kg. Robert’s hair color is black and his eye color is green. Unfortunately, his other body measurements are not available at present. Overall, he has got a very healthy body.
The career of Robert Smith
- His career started at the age of fourteen with the high school band ‘The Crawley Goat Band’ that also included his brother, Richard, sister Janet, and some of his friends as its members.
- Later, he formed the band ‘Easy Cure’ in 1976 along with Laurence Tolhurst, Pearl Thompson, and Michael Dempsey with Smith performing the role of one of the songwriters and singers. During 1978, the band was renamed ‘The Cure’ with the dismissal of Pearl Thompson from the group.
- From the year 1978 to 1979, the band released the singles ‘Killing an Arab’ and ‘10:15 Saturday Night’.
- In fact, they also released their debut album ‘Three Imaginary Boys.
- He also went on a UK tour along with Steve Severin of ‘Siouxsie and the Banshees’, in 1979, for promoting their second album, ‘Join Hands’. In 1980, Michael Dempsey left the band, and Simon Gallup, a bass guitarist, and Matthieu Hartly, a keyboardist joined the group.
- From July 1982 to February 1985, he had to shoulder the entire recording process of ‘The Cure’.
- He also released the solo album ‘The Top’ in 1984, where Smith played all the instruments by himself except the drums.
- Throughout the new millennium, he also recorded new albums with The Cure.
- In addition, these include ‘Bloodflowers’ (2000), ‘The Cure’ (2004), and ‘4:13 Dream’ (2008).
- In 2010, he contributed a cover of “Very Good Advice” from the 1951 film adaptation of Alice in Wonderland to the album Almost Alice; a companion release to Tim Burton’s adaptation of Alice in Wonderland, while “Pirate Ships” from 1989 also saw release on CD for the first time.
- In 2015, he contributed vocals to the song “Please” from the album 8:58, a project by Paul Hartnoll.
- On 15th June 2015, the Twilight Sad released a single featuring Smith covering “There’s a Girl in the Corner”.
- In 2015, he also contributed vocals to “In All Worlds”, a single from Eat Static’s album Dead Planet.
Marital Status (Married), Wife, Children
Robert Smith is a married man. He married Mary Poole in 1988, whom he met at St. Wilfrid’s when he was 14. He has dedicated his song, ‘Love Song,’ to Mary as his wedding gift. They have mutually agreed not to have children. As of today, the couple is living a happy life without any disturbances. They are enjoying their life a lot.
Net Worth of Robert Smith
Robert is a very successful singer and from his career, he has earned a huge amount of money and fame as well. He has an estimated net worth of $25 Million as of 2019 but there is no information regarding his salary at present but there is no doubt in the mind of his follower that he is earning a considerable amount of salary from his work. He is satisfied with his earnings.