Facts of Malik B.
|Full Name:||Malik B.|
|Age:||50 years 6 months|
|Birth Date:||November 14, 1972|
|Best Match for Marriage:||Capricorn, Cancer, Pisces|
|View more / View fewer Facts of Malik B.|
Malik Abdul Basit, popular by the stage name, Malik B. was an American rapper, singer, and songwriter. He was best known as the founding member of the hip-hop group, The Roots.
After releasing four albums with the band, Malik B. left the group to pursue a solo career. He frequently featured on The Roots’ project in his latter career. He was associated with record labels, F.D.M.E., Enemy Soil, and Def Jam Recordings. He later released two albums with producer Mr. Green.
Tragically, Malik B. died aged 47 on 29 July 2020. The cause of his death hasn’t been made public yet.
What is Malik B. Famous For?
- Founding member of the hip-hop group, The Roots.
Bio, Age, Parents, Nationality
Malik B was born on 14 November 1972. His birth name is Malik Abdul Basit. His birthplace is Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in the United States. He held an American nationality.
Detailed information about his parents, early life, siblings, and education are not available. He belonged to the African-American ethnicity. Any updates on his early life will be updated here.
Career and Professional Life
- Malik B. entered the hip hop scene as one of the members of the Philadelphia hip hop band, The Roots.
- The band was formed in 1987 by Ahmir “Questlove” Thompson and Tariq “Black Thought”.
- They started busking on the streets and appeared in a talent show under the name Radio Activity. The group was renamed Black to the Future and then The Square Roots and eventually named, The Roots after Malik B. and Leonard “Hub” Hubbard joined the group.
- The group unable to achieve breakthrough in their native Philadelphia, the band briefly moved to London.
- The Roots independently released their debut album, Organix in 1993.
- Organix gained them a moderate recognition in the hip hop scene and the band signed a recording deal with DGC.
- The group released their second album, Do You Want More?!!!?! in 1995 and third album, Illadelph Halflife in 1996. Illadelph Halflife became the group’s first album to break the Top 40 on the Billboard 100 chart.
- Their single “Clones” became their first single to reach the top five on the rap charts.
- Their single, “What They Do” became the first single to hit the Top 40 on Billboard.
- The band released its fourth album, Things Fall Apart in 1999.
- Malik B. left the group after their fourth album.
- However, he returned to the band as a featured artist on several of the band’s songs.
- Malik B. was a featured artist on three tracks of The Roots’ seventh studio album, Game Theory (released in 2006). He was featured on the tracks, “Game Theory”, “In The Music”, and “Here I Come”.
- He was also featured on the two tracks of The Roots’ 2008 album, Rising Down. He was featured on tracks, “I Can’t Help It” and “Lost Desire”.
- In his latter career, he released two albums with New York-based producer, Mr. Green.
- With Mr. Green, he released two studio albums, Street Assault in 2005 and Unpredictable in 2015.
- He released an EP, Psychological EP in 2006.
- He was also the featured member of the Philadelphia rap collective Beard Gand.
Relationship Status of Malik B.
No information about his personal life is available on online news portals. He had maintained a private life, away from the limelight. Thus, it is uncertain whether he has a family or not. If we get any information about his personal life, this article will be updated.
Body Measurement – Height, Weight
No information about Malik B.’s body measurements such as height and weight are available. He had dark brown eyes and his hair color was black.
How Did Malik B. Die?
Malik B. fans suffered tragic news in July 2020 when the former The Roots rapper died on 29 July 2020. He passed away aged 47. However, the cause of his death has not been revealed or is yet to be determined.
The Roots confirmed Malik B.’s death via social media. The Roots wrote on Twitter,
“We regretfully inform you of the passing of our beloved brother and long-time Roots member Malik Abdul Basit. May he be remembered for his devotion to Islam and innovation as one of the most gifted MCs of all time. We ask that you please respect his family in our time of mourning”
The Roots wrote on Instagram, “It is with heavy hearts and tearful eyes that we regretfully inform you of the passing of our beloved brother and long-time Roots member Malik Abdul Basit.
May he be remembered for his devotion to Islam, His loving brotherhood and his innovation as one of the most gifted MCs of all time.
We ask that you please respect his family and extended family in our time of mourning such a great loss.”
FAQs of Malik B.
When did Malik B. die?
- He died on 29 July 2020.
How tall was Malik B.?
- He had a pretty decent height, however, he had not revealed the exact height.
How much is Malik B.’s net worth?
- His estimated net worth was around $ 5 million.
You May Also Like To Read: Josh Dugar, Chris Frangipane